Recommended Tailor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
I've been hunting round for a black wide spaced pinstripe jacket recently. Unfortunately my tailor in Bow has packed up and retired. Does anyone have a good tailor they can recommend? :thumb:

yes, but he's in Bangkok so probably not much use to you. sorry:eek:

on a positive note I'm seeing him next weekend for new outfits:D

<Awaits Charles Morgan>

Blimey - he's a tailor too!? His talent know no bounds.:)

It'll depend to some extent on what you're looking for. For instance, do you need the jacket to match an existing pair of trousers? And are you thinking bespoke or just made to measure? Anderson and Sheppard or Gieves & Hawkes would be a couple of obvious choices, but it will also come down to how much you want to spend.

It'll depend to some extent on what you're looking for. For instance, do you need the jacket to match an existing pair of trousers? And are you thinking bespoke or just made to measure? Anderson and Sheppard or Gieves & Hawkes would be a couple of obvious choices, but it will also come down to how much you want to spend.

The jacket isn't to match trousers, so no worries there. I'm also a fan of Hackett, I believe they have a tailoring service. However, I'm also aware of the horrendous mark-ups involved for the same cloth I can get at local tailors....if I can find one. :rolleyes:

There are lots of tailors in London with a huge price range - it all depends what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

An altered off the peg, Made to measure, Made to measure but with a decent canvas, true bespoke.

At mid-level: My friend has had a suit made at the Cad and Dandy and had a good experience. But another friend had an awful experience at King and Allen. These companies will measure you, mark-up and then send measurements abroad. You'll have 2/3 fittings (the more the better) not sure if you'd have a basted fitting stage, I imagine so. However, if you are thinking, well I'll just cut out the middle-man and get the suit made abroad myself. The abroad tailors are producing products to exacting standards for the English companies, that they may not do for their local customers. Although the service my friend had at King and Allen left much to be desired (it took ages!).

Companies in a similar price braket to the above, have recently offered deals on Groupon - might be worth a look.

At slightly higher price bracket: Graham Browne in central London in Mansion House are a good shout. I'm pretty sure everything is made in the UK.

Hope that helps.

I tend to get mine made in Jom Tien (Thailand) - they've been making my families suits since decades... I noticed a plethora of companies springing up in the UK who will measure you and then get someone in Thailand to make the suit... seems like an interesting idea...

<Awaits Charles Morgan>

Alas my tailor has hung up his tape measure, shears and chalk for a humble retirement back in Cyprus, and while I would recommend Kilgour in Savile Row, they aren't exactly budget.

Ede and Ravenscroft ought to be a bit cheaper than Savile Row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom