Recommissioning my W211…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
My W211 has been parked up since December.

Both batteries (main & SBC) are dead - I’m guessing I’ll need a pair of batteries…

Annoyingly - one of the 2 bonnet catches seems to have stuck - so I cannot even get the bonnet open.

MOT expired too. The only thing I imagine it’ll fail on is the wing mirror indicator (the wires must have frayed where it folds and hence the led didn’t work when I parked it up)…

Does anyone know how I can open the bonnet with the failed catch? and any tips on the rest of it?

Cheers,
Abs

Cars certainly don't like sitting around not-used.
Seized bonnet catches seems to be a common problem following lockdown lack of use.
I've fixed two as follows:
Get a friend to hold the bonnet opener fully open.
Get hold of the bonnet front and work it up and down vigorously several times.
It has worked twice for me and also for another Forum member who followed my advice.
When you get it open, a good application of oil / grease stops it recurring.

The mirror indicator is not too difficult to sort.
There are a number of threads on here.
It's fiddly, but do-able.
I changed mine last year.

Before buying batteries I would try reconditioning them, they can be bought back providing the cells haven’t been damaged.

No way of keeping on charge with a smart or trickle charger ?
Before buying batteries I would try reconditioning them, they can be bought back providing the cells haven’t been damaged.
Cars certainly don't like sitting around not-used.
Seized bonnet catches seems to be a common problem following lockdown lack of use.
I've fixed two as follows:
Get a friend to hold the bonnet opener fully open.
Get hold of the bonnet front and work it up and down vigorously several times.
It has worked twice for me and also for another Forum member who followed my advice.
When you get it open, a good application of oil / grease stops it recurring.

The mirror indicator is not too difficult to sort.
There are a number of threads on here.
It's fiddly, but do-able.
I changed mine last year.
Amazing I managed to open it this way thanks so much!!!!!

Ordering a CTEK now

@Bobby Dazzler

My W211 has its main battery in the boot (it’s a electric boot so can’t get in), and the front has its little battery which powers the SBC brakes, and also I have found a positive terminal in the fuse box (which from youtube I believe is the unofficial bonnet jump point).. can I connect the CTEK to this jump point? It’s a MX3.8 I’ve ordered (whatever that means!) 😂

@Bobby Dazzler

My W211 has its main battery in the boot (it’s a electric boot so can’t get in), and the front has its little battery which powers the SBC brakes, and also I have found a positive terminal in the fuse box (which from youtube I believe is the unofficial bonnet jump point).. can I connect the CTEK to this jump point? It’s a MX3.8 I’ve ordered (whatever that means!) 😂
Just connect it to the jump starting point mentioned in the manual. The positive (red) clamp goes to the positive terminal beneath the red plastic cover, and the negative (black) clamp goes on the nearby Earth point on the body (looks like a bolt).

Just connect it to the jump starting point mentioned in the manual. The positive (red) clamp goes to the positive terminal beneath the red plastic cover, and the negative (black) clamp goes on the nearby Earth point on the body (looks like a bolt).
Thanks mate, I will do that... in fact I will look into creating some kind of 'easy connect' for the CTEK so it can always be plugged in as I rarely drive the Mercs now - but I just don't have the heart to sell em...

Thanks mate, I will do that... in fact I will look into creating some kind of 'easy connect' for the CTEK so it can always be plugged in as I rarely drive the Mercs now - but I just don't have the heart to sell em...
There should be some “hoop” connectors in the box which you can permanently attach to the car and then just clip the CTEK 👍🏻

Abs - if you put the back seat down flat, you should be able to get in and open the tailgate from the inside. The door mirror wiring was repaired whilst the car was in my care and the auto-folding function was turned off by Ollie at the time, so the wiring is probably likely to require replacing now if the folding has been used much.
Regards, Gordon.

Thanks everyone.

An update; earlier today the CTEK arrived via Amazon, and I connected it up to the positive terminal in the fuse box in the bonnet and the negative post nearby… it’s charging now and the cars ‘awake’ I can now use the central locking etc etc… looks promising!

Abs - if you put the back seat down flat, you should be able to get in and open the tailgate from the inside. The door mirror wiring was repaired whilst the car was in my care and the auto-folding function was turned off by Ollie at the time, so the wiring is probably likely to require replacing now if the folding has been used much.
Regards, Gordon.
Thanks Gordon, how nice to hear from you I hope you’ve been keeping well and enjoying the E63?

Thanks everyone.

An update; earlier today the CTEK arrived via Amazon, and I connected it up to the positive terminal in the fuse box in the bonnet and the negative post nearby… it’s charging now and the cars ‘awake’ I can now use the central locking etc etc… looks promising!
Good news, sounds promising. As long as the battery has not been damaged then it should be at relatively healthy state of charge by morning.

Does the CTEK 3.8 have reconditioning mode? As long as you do not have an AGM battery then the recond mode should give the battery some extra life.

Good news, sounds promising. As long as the battery has not been damaged then it should be at relatively healthy state of charge by morning.

Does the CTEK 3.8 have reconditioning mode? As long as you do not have an AGM battery then the recond mode should give the battery some extra life

I was mistaken and it’s actually the CTEK MXS 5.0 I’ve ordered, it has recon mode but I’ve put it in AGM mode as I think the main battery is AGM?

I do think it’ll need a replacement battery sadly as I remember I used to get intermittent battery warnings before too, but it could also be linked to lack of use so let’s see if the CTEK does anything!

I was mistaken and it’s actually the CTEK MXS 5.0 I’ve ordered, it has recon mode but I’ve put it in AGM mode as I think the main battery is AGM?

I do think it’ll need a replacement battery sadly as I remember I used to get intermittent battery warnings before too, but it could also be linked to lack of use so let’s see if the CTEK does anything!
That’s good news, MXS 5.0 is the one to have. Double check whether it’s an AGM battery as the charging cycle is slightly different compared to a traditional lead-acid battery.

If the battery is in the passenger compartment - or if the car has stop-start - then it’s likely to be AGM, however older cars with battery under the bonnet may be more likely to be lead-acid.

That’s good news, MXS 5.0 is the one to have. Double check whether it’s an AGM battery as the charging cycle is slightly different compared to a traditional lead-acid battery.

If the battery is in the passenger compartment - or if the car has stop-start - then it’s likely to be AGM, however older cars with battery under the bonnet may be more likely to be lead-acid.
The batteries in the boot and I seem to remember it being AGM , my only doubt is that there’s 2 batteries (there’s also that smaller Aux one for the brakes somewhere in the engine bay) so will this be charging both do you think? (As it’s currently connected directly to fuse box)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom