Recovering Vehicle stuck in PARK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steveamg

Car
BMW M3
Hi all

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question.

Considering purchasing an S Class from auction - previously stolen recovered.

Vehicle is in PARK and is unlocked however has no keys.

As I cannot get it into NEUTRAL what options have I got to recovery it on to a flat bed truck?
Guess it could be dragged on but then how will I get it off after?

Or
Would a vehicle recovery crane grabber be the best solution here?

Most cars have a small mechanical level that can release the transmission from Park with the engine not running and no key - so check the owners manual online to see if the car you want to buy has it.

Also, you can tow an automatic by raising the driven wheels, in the case of a RWD car this means lifting the back.

If towing with the driven wheels on the ground, the speed is limited (from memory) to 20mph, but in general it is not recommended to tow an automatic car with the driven wheels on the ground and the engine not running, since the transmission won't have hydraulic pressure and could be damaged.

So flatbed is the better option.

Thanks both.

Towing will not be possible as vehicle is 60 miles away and will need to go on the motorway.

I’ve had a look at the online manual and unfortunately there is no topic to manually engage neutral.

Try youtube, i have found solutions for this exact issue there for other makes, also ask your Recovery service as this will be a common issue.

Edit, had a look and there is a ton of vids

Last edited:
Thanks both.

Towing will not be possible as vehicle is 60 miles away and will need to go on the motorway.

I’ve had a look at the online manual and unfortunately there is no topic to manually engage neutral.
Disconnect the prop shaft? No idea how easy this is on an S class though.

Exhausted my efforts this morning on YouTube and google.
Only method I found was using skid plates to drag the car on to a flat bed.

Taking the vehicle off is more difficult.

But there would be to manually release from Park.
Many models have a small removable panel near to the transmission selector, one then inserts a pen or small screwdriver.#
What model year is the S class?

I bet a can of pop a recovery service will know, they did when my 3 series came to a halt in a flood, they got it back no problem.
Hire some skates/dollies,my local hire place does them, cheap to buy at machine mart.

But there would be to manually release from Park.
Many models have a small removable panel near to the transmission selector, one then inserts a pen or small screwdriver.#
What model year is the S class?
W222

The older manual type levers did have a manual bypass however the newer electronic type don’t appear to have any by pass - from what I have come across anyway.

Last edited:
Don’t forget that on the newer cars the parking brake will be electronic too as well as the parking position for the electronic gear selector.

Not sure on either for a manual override but it’s probably just easiest to get it flatbed recovered. You’d need to do that to your local dealer if you end up buying it and order replacement keys anyway :)

W222

The older manual type levers did have a manual bypass however the newer electronic type don’t appear to have any by pass - from what I have come across anyway.
Yup, scanned through the handbook and it appears the only option is to lift the vehicle onto a flatbed.
Great advice in the handbook.. "If the transmission cannot be shifted to N, visit a qualified workshop"!!!!

Well you do not say what year the car is,but I would think it is a late model,W221 or W222,if I was faced with this problem,I would look for a mobile key replacement guy near the auction,there are a number of top mercedes replacement key people around and if either of these two models it will not take long to make a key,expect with the call out the cost to be around £500,they will only do this job if you have the auction receipt .

^^^^^ makes perfect sense, the OP is going to need keys at some point....

Well you do not say what year the car is,but I would think it is a late model,W221 or W222,if I was faced with this problem,I would look for a mobile key replacement guy near the auction,there are a number of top mercedes replacement key people around and if either of these two models it will not take long to make a key,expect with the call out the cost to be around £500,they will only do this job if you have the auction receipt
Either that, or have it taken to an MB dealer, order new keys from them (possibly, only once you have the V5C; I don't know whether an auction receipt will be enough), then have them coded to the car when they arrive. I suspect Zipdip's suggestion will be much the cheaper, and certainly the faster, option.

And don't forget to have all previous keys erased !

‘No keys’ would be a great way of moving on a vehicle at auction with any kind of electronic/engine etc type issue - just saying ;)

Obvious question, how did they get it to auction site? It must have been on a trailer, or maybe had the propshaft removed.

Most of these boxes you just use the manual release at the shift lever to get it into N.

Pain in the behind though if you also can't turn the wheel.

Well the op is taking a risk,but it is up to him,most auctions now are all online,my nearest one is appointment only to see the cars you are interested in the day before and the actual aution is online only and you need a account to play,now whatever the op has in mind,if he buys the car then a mobile car key maker will make a key at the auction site as long as he has the receipt,as has been pointed out he is buying a car that may have fault codes and things wrong with it,the only good thing is the car is open,for me that car would have to be very cheap to risk there being expensive faults,plus the £500 call out and one key maybe £650 with two keys, again they will delete the two keys in the ECU there will be at least another 4 to choose from, a interesting topic for a Sunday but it is up to the op he has had all that this forum can offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom