Recycling who joins in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
Well having thought about it lets see if I can justify it as my wife recycles with zest .

first of all the plastic bin which was produced for the recycled material ...on mass .

then the waste of water as the tins are washed out and the labels removed average flow 9lit per min x zillions doing it. mega lits.

then the bloody great truck that trundles down avenues collecting ...which was made specially and throws out fumes .

then the plant specially built where it goes to be recycled.

the extra bags for the recycled waste.

all the old bids driving to collection points (causing collisions) with paper and tins burning fuel like it going out of fashion.because thier all rev and no clutch

the trucks with thier bloody great vachum to suck out the stuff at these collection points(i have seen this done ).

and lots of other pollutant methods of collection to save our planet. :D

what was wrong with bloody great big holes and just fill em with rubbish ;).

Last edited:
We were told that in addition to cans, bottles and plastic we're supposed to recycle paper in our area, the same trucks will collect.

NO CARDBOARD

Understandably, it's not paper.

NO NEWSPAPERS

apparently it's the wrong kind of paper, doesn't go through the shredders properly and jams stuff up.

NO ENVELOPES

of course they have adhesives on them and sometimes a plastic window, again this jams up the shredders.

NO GLOSSY MAGAZINES

the coating and adhesives jam up the shredders etc

NO STAPLES

seemingly the shredders don't like staples or paperclips or anything else other than paper

NO SHREDDED PAPER

I've yet to get a serious answer back about this one but allegedly it's because they store the paper in bundles and shredded paper blows away.

So what are we left with? Not a lot! :rolleyes:

Shude said:
We were told that in addition to cans, bottles and plastic we're supposed to recycle paper in our area, the same trucks will collect.

NO CARDBOARD

NO NEWSPAPERS

apparently it's the wrong kind of paper, doesn't go through the shredders properly and jams stuff up.

NO ENVELOPES

of course they have adhesives on them and sometimes a plastic window, again this jams up the shredders.

NO GLOSSY MAGAZINES

NO STAPLES

seemingly the shredders don't like staples or paperclips or anything else other than paper

NO SHREDDED PAPER

I've yet to get a serious answer back about this one but allegedly it's because they store the paper in bundles and shredded paper blows away.

what about old bids :D

mark.t said:
what about old bids :D
I suspect the old shredder will struggle with them. That's the usual answer. ;)

Old bids are eventually recycled anyway, just like everything that naturally bio-degrades!

In my area we have been on the recycling thing for 9 months or so.
Two main bins (one grey on green) collected alternate weeks.
One container for tins and foil (washed & crushed) and another container for glass bottles, jars (but no broken glass or broken bottles).
A small bin to put paper (any paper) and cardboard in.
Plastic goes in the grey (non recycleable) bin.

Only drawback as far as I can see so far is you have a stinking bin full of rotting rubbish by the time they collect it once every two weeks :crazy: :crazy: .
The other bin (green) is for garden waste. Who has a big enough garden to need that emptying ever two weeks (I know I dont). :confused: :confused: The only thing it gets put in it is grass and general green garden waste.

I'm waiting for someone to make a claim because they cut themselves when washing a tin :eek: :eek:

Strange thing I’ve noticed is that there seem to be no hard and fast rules about what to recycle as all areas want to recycle differant things :rolleyes:

I have a green bin (all rubbish), a brown bin for garden waste and a blue box for plastic and paper.

Green bin collected alternate weeks with brown and blue.

Sadly, green bin is full after 2 weeks and other two empty apart from if I cut grass.

If I had the room for two bins in my kitchen, I would probably recycle more.

Shude said:

NO CARDBOARD

NO NEWSPAPERS

NO ENVELOPES

NO GLOSSY MAGAZINES

NO STAPLES

NO SHREDDED PAPER

They want that nice new pack of A4 printer paper mate. ;) ;)

If you have Sky you have to check out Penn & Teller Bull***t

The episode about the US recycling system is a joke... It cost more money to recycle than it does to dump it and creates more pollution? and it's very funny

My wife told them where they could shove their multitude of bins and they took them away and collect our mixed up rubbish bin every week.
How much more energy does it waste losing all that heat out your door as you take every scrap of rubbish to the right bin?

Besides - I go through a gallon of petrol every 15 miles - I'm doing my bit for global warming by helping to increase the average temperature of the UK so that everyone can turn their heating down a bit and save loads of energy. Makes sense.

Last edited:
We have Grey bin for rubbish, Brown bin for garden/vegetable waste, green bag for paper (all types except envelopes), plastic bottles, tin cans, red bag for cardboard (all types), plastic box for glass and bagged clothes.

I personally try to recycle as much as possible as I don't like unneccessary wastage.

There are not many landfill sites left to keep dumping waste into and also why keep creating new products and throwing the old ones away when they could be useful again?

The collections are alternate weeks, bins one week, recycle bags the other. No problem with rubbish bin smelling as we use a bag in the house bin so rubbish is contained. You could eat your dinner out of my wheely bin it's so clean.

I used to go to the rubbish tip/recycling yard most weekends, now I hardly ever need to go, so save on fuel and polution there.

I know this all sounds a bit sad but I can't understand anyones aversion to recycling, especially as it actually costs me less than to dump the rubbish at the tip.

Dieselman said:
There are not many landfill sites left to keep dumping waste into and also why keep creating new products and throwing the old ones away when they could be useful again?

Where I live they are just getting to the stage where the landfill site is nearly full. :(
When it is full they are going to be transporting the rubbish (the non recyclable stuff) by road 20-30miles away :crazy: . The transport of rubbish is starting sometime this year.
They have been charging anyone who goes to the tip with a van or trailer for the last year or so & you need to get a permit first. :confused:
I wish that products had more of a useful life and be repairable. Instead the norm these days seems to be throw it away and buy a new one.
My kettle element went a few weeks ago and it was cheaper to buy a new kettle than buy just the element :confused: . The same kettle with the same element fitted!!!! :crazy: :eek:
The world is crazy. Recycle with one hand and throw it away with the other. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom