Red arrows crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
More than four hours later....

"No details are known about possible casualties".

You would think they'd tell us something by now?

I think the fact they haven't is to give them time to tell the family.

Sorry, I was looking at the worn place... I forgot the BBc no longer carry actual news.

The Mirror, on the other hand:

'Red Arrows jet crashes at air show - pilot severely injured'

...'He said two members of the public jumped into a nearby river to search for the pilot, who had ejected moments before the crash.'

Sorry, I was looking at the worn place... I forgot the BBc no longer carry actual news.

The Mirror, on the other hand:

'Red Arrows jet crashes at air show - pilot severely injured'

...'He said two members of the public jumped into a nearby river to search for the pilot, who had ejected moments before the crash.'

Daily Mail website is reporting that the pilot is dead. Expected to be named later tonight.

How very, very sad. Even more appropriate then High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

J G Magee Jr.

RIP Red Arrow 4

Last edited:
The pilot may be a 'she', and lets see some respect on the forum.

Just read the crash coverage on The Telegraph website, very sad loss of another true hero making the ultimate sacrifice, and talented pilot.

Devastating news. Watched their performance down here yesterday and it was awesome as usual. Watched today's show on the Air Show live stream and as they barrel-rolled across I said to myself, Christ, it's amazing these guys do this day in and day out and never crash. Dumbstruck by the next news. We were all going as a family for their final Bournemouth show tomorrow. Sad thing is didn't happen as part of the main show - just when they were preparing to land (which is a show in itself!). It looks as if he may have stayed with his plane to avoid built up area - but who knows. Deepest sympathy to his family and associates.

An RAF Red Arrows pilot died when his plane crashed following a display at the Bournemouth Air Festival in Dorset.

Flt Lt Jon Egging, 33, from Rutland, was killed when his Hawk T1 aircraft - Red 4 - crashed about 1km south east of Bournemouth Airport at 13:50 BST.

BBC News - Red Arrows pilot dies in Bournemouth Air Festival crash

Red Arrows pilot killed in crash - Telegraph

Very brave act by the pilot not to eject so he could steer the plane away from nearby houses.

:(

Last edited:
We as a family have seen the Red Arrows many times. Every time they take our breath away.

In my clumsy attempt to find something fitting I have only this. We raise a glass to "Reds" and their support crews past and present tonight.

Top Gun - Take My Breath Away - YouTube

Perhaps you can find smething more fitting.

I will offer the final stanza from Meredith's The Lark Ascending:

Yet men have we, whom we revere,
Now names, and men still housing here,
Whose lives, by many a battle-dint
Defaced, and grinding wheels on flint,
Yield substance, though they sing not, sweet
For song our highest heaven to greet:
Whom heavenly singing gives us new,
Enspheres them brilliant in our blue,
From firmest base to farthest leap,
Because their love of Earth is deep,
And they are warriors in accord
With life to serve and pass reward,
So touching purest and so heard
In the brain’s reflex of yon bird;
Wherefore their soul in me, or mine,
Through self-forgetfulness divine,
In them, that song aloft maintains,
To fill the sky and thrill the plains
With showerings drawn from human stores,
As he to silence nearer soars,
Extends the world at wings and dome,
More spacious making more our home,
Till lost on his aërial rings
In light, and then the fancy sings.

[YOUTUBE]z2XxxdGCEHs[/YOUTUBE]

Terrible news. My thoughts are with the Pilot, his family, friends and colleagues.

The Dazzlers are big fans of the Red Arrows, truly breathtaking stuff.

He'll certainly be remembered - assuming that this incident doesn't stop their displays then I'm sure I won't be the only who stops for a moment to remember him each time I see them fly by.

If they stop Red Arrows displays - superbly maintained aircraft flown by superb pilots, then I guess Heathrow will be doomed.

I mean, all those elderly clunkers, maintained for 20p and flown by the worlds own collection of variously trained and scrutinised pilots can't possibly be allowed in the skies over central London...

Not surprisingly, tomorrow's final Red Arrows performance at the Bournemouth Air Show has been cancelled. Can't imagine how these guys can get back in the air after this, but we know they will soon.
Terrible thing is that it had nothing to do with the aerobatics. He was just peeling off to land - must have been a catastophic mechanical failure in the wrong place at the wrong time. OMG.

It is standard procedure to suspend further Red Arrows displays until the investigation will shed some light as to the reasons.

But I don't think they will cancel all future Red Arrows displays - at least I hope they won't - but they will probably not be allowed to push the limits as much. He was flying very low - and while we don't know yet what caused the crash, the fact is that the higher the aircraft the more options the pilot has.

My hat off to all the crew today, heavy thoughts with all crew and family.

I guess today will make flying even safer for all, thanks mate.

I will raise a class to all.

Cheers....

Watched the Red Arrows on Thursday from across the water in Portmellon as they flew over Fowey for the regatta. Just a stunning display of precision, skill and, frankly - British excellence. So sad what has happened today, and I hope they continue to fly despite this tragic setback.

The pilot apparently put in a Mayday call shortly before the crash , so possibly chose to guide the plane rather than immediately eject. First Red Arrows pilot to be killed since 1978 is testimony to just how good these guys and their ageing Hawk jets are. Tragic loss of a brave young man who died doing what most of us can only dream of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom