Red arrows crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tragic event, these are very skilled pilots and admirably to the last minute the pilot used this skill to ensure no-one on ground level was hurt, thoughts go to his family.

If it turns out that the crash was due to airframe failure it could spell the end of the Red Arrows as we know them. Let's hope not

I seem to recall the pilots of airshow aircraft are trained to find somewhere to stick the aircraft into to avoid casualties on the ground before saving their own lives by leaving the aircraft.

They fly for our entertainment, and sometimes die for it too.

Respect is due to the pilot and family - a sad day for aviation but testament to the excellence exhibited by our forces.

Hope the arrows get back in the air soon.

Years ago I used to be involved in Aircraft Crash Investigation, I used to test the fuel systems from Harriers and Tornados following a crash. All to often the paperwork would end with a statement "pilot was fatally injured". At the time i remember it always provoked deep thoughts. Its a very sad time and my thoughts go to his family, crew and all involved.

Yes we saw them at the Lowestoft Air Display only last weekend while visiting my daughter. Very,very sad. RIP.

Many thanks for that tribute Charles, gave me goosebumps.

Not surprisingly, tomorrow's final Red Arrows performance at the Bournemouth Air Show has been cancelled. Can't imagine how these guys can get back in the air after this, but we know they will soon.

BBC has just announced that today's display will go ahead, presumably in tribute to Flt Lt Jon Egging.

If its going ahead they must have a very clear idea what happened- bird strike perhaps??

I heard it as, the air show will go ahead but the Red Arrows won't be taking part due to ongoing investigations as to the reason for the crash.

I heard it as, the air show will go ahead but the Red Arrows won't be taking part due to ongoing investigations as to the reason for the crash.

Ah, that would make more sense. I may not have been paying full attention. Apologies.

The words of Flt Lt Egging's widow, showing commendable fortitude under the circumstances:

"Jon was everything to those that knew him, and he was the best friend and husband I could ever have wished for. I know that he would have wanted me to say something from the heart at this time. There was nothing bad about Jon. He loved his job and was an exemplary pilot. Watching him today, I was the proudest I've ever been. I loved everything about him, and he will be missed."

Dr Emma Egging

Yes, show has re-started with a moving tribute to Flt Lt Egging. Red Arrows grounded but still big Show. Lancaster bomber - one of only two left flying I believe - will be passing over my house very soon if yesterday is anything to go by...That too was a magnificent sight!

The Red Arrows are flying again today for the Great North Run, in tribute to Flt Lt John Egging. His widow is acting as starter for the half-marathon, and is also participating to raise funds; she will wear a red number 4. Coverage on BBC1 now.

Last edited:
Red Arrows in "Missing Man" Formaton. Pretty cut up watching that I must say. Hats off to all Reds and support crews - past, present and future.

Red Arrows in "Missing Man" Formaton. Pretty cut up watching that I must say. Hats off to all Reds and support crews - past, present and future.

Which means this:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom