Red battery, visit workshop, just my luck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swift1092

Car
E55 amg
Im sure this has been covered many times but put my car up for sale, got two people coming to view at the weekend, went to take it to the garage for fuel and upon turning ignition on red battery picture with visit workshop, ive put my volt metre on both the aux and main battery they both read 12v dc and when running both are receaving 14v dc so im sure its not alternator or volt splitter, kind of at a loss here any help? Thanks in advance

How often are you using the car and how long do you drive it for when you do?

12v is way too low for these cars.

14v when running is what you want so your alternator sounds fine.

What John said really, either take it for a good long drive or bang a C-Tek charger on it.

Swift1092 said:
Its used bout 3 times a week but only short journeys, 3-4miles a time

Charge the battery overnight.

Do you have a link to your advert?

If the 12 volts measured was 12.0 volts as opposed to 12.6 volts then the battery was only 25% charged at best which is almost flat. Because of the cars electronics going to sleep and parasitic losses it's impossible that a modern car ends a journey and starts the next one with a fully charged battery. Add to that infrequent short journeys and top charging of the battery becomes essential.

Ive borrowed my friends trickle charger to charge it tomora, do i have to disconect the batt fully when charging? As the alarm will go off otherwise, ive also ordered a new aux battery the ebay auction no is 141950401662

You can leave the battery connected when charging. Just be careful attaching and removing the leads. I make sure there is no power until connected and turn off charger before disconnecting.

Ok little update borrowed a friends charger, charged it overnight, replaced the aux battery this morning switched on the car, and fault pops back up!!! This afternoon ive borrowed a better battery tested/charger and its told me it has correct v but no amps, ive found a local dealer that can supply me a 12v 95ah 800a battery, will this be ok? As the current battery is 12v 95ah 850a????

THIS is the recommended battery for the E55 AMG W211.

Whatever battery you decide to buy, make sure its an AGM battery.

Rite this is now getting really really frustrating!!! Ive spent £300 on batterys, and the dam faults still coming up!!!!! Ive got 14dc charging voltage on both batterys too! Im compleatly at a loss

Suggest you get the car on STAR and check for any fault codes.

Just pull the plug off it and check for white or green corrosion.
If so clean it all up and might clear your fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom