Red cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnG

Does anyone know why red cars often develop a hazy finish? Mine has and a salesman at a Mercedes dealership told me that it was quite common - but didn't explain why. It is possible to overcome the problem with an appropriate combination of paint cleaners and polishes but, after an hour's polishing, one inevitably ends up with dusters covered in red pigment. Clearly, this solution has a limited time span of applicability. The car I am think of was bought new thirteen years ago so the matter isn't a guarantee issue. Also, the clear laquer that covers the paint has started to flake off on the side of the car that, because of parking arrangements, is most exposed to sunlight - this is something of an eyesore. In contrast, I also have a fifteen-year-old Ford Ecsort Mark IV (collector's item of the future) and its silver paintwork is in pristine condition.

Regards,

JohnG

I don't know, but red is just a weak colour for some reason. I used to have a vauxhall astra and it was mostly pink rather than red, the bonnet and roof had white patches!

My dad bought a Porsche 944 in "guards red" and it was white over the wheel arch bulges, bonnet and roof. We polished and polished, t-cut and wax etc but it only stayed red for a few days then went back to pink/white again. It was re-sprayed by a local friendly bodyshop for about £600 and it's been perfect ever since.

I once bought a red Vauxhall and swore it would be my last red car. It was only when it reached about 5 years old that the paint started to fade and give me problems.

The dealer said that the solid red paint didn't contain any lead which was the cause of the degradation?
Someone else told me it was because the solid red had no laquer top coat to protect it from the bleaching effect of the sun?

Anyway it was irrelevant what caused the pinky chalky look as no matter what I tried I could only get the car looking good for maybe 2 or 3 summer weeks at a time before I had to polish it again. Polishing was always a really messy task due to the 'oxidised' red paint lifting off the car and getting everywhere.

Another common problem were the water marks I used to get on the roof and bonnet everytime the sun came out after a quick rain shower. As a result of all my polishing the rainwater used to pool on the car which in turn magnified the heat of the sun causing even more damage... you couldn't win!!!

The dealer said they could 'skim' the paint to correct it (whatever that was) but it sounded expensive and wasn't covered under warranty so it didn't happen.

Last edited:
JohnG said:
Does anyone know why red cars often develop a hazy finish? Also, the clear laquer that covers the paint has started to flake off on the side of the car that, because of parking arrangements, is most exposed to sunlight - this is something of an eyesore.

Regards,

JohnG

John

I have heard all sorts of reasons why flat red cars have problem paintwork and I do not know for certain which one of them is the true one - but I do know one thing - they do it!

I would however, be concerned on the laquer peeling though and given the age of the car would be particulalry suspicious if this has not been reworked at some point in its life.

Last edited:
It's UV degradation related in some way I think.
Plenty of waxing and garaging protects the deep red gloss.
My bro in law has a 5+ year old car and it literally looks like it's just come out of the showroom. (Autoglymed and garaged most of the time - 3000 miles a year)

pluggers said:
Nearly 10 yrs old and no probs with my paintwork.

From the photos, your's looks like metallic, the non-metallic reds fare the worst. So you could look forward to another 10 years :)

My maroon MB also suffers from paint fade/marbling effect, I just accept it will and keep a good coat of polish on it when I can.

Elbow grease and Colourmagic appears to work the best, just don't wear your good suit when doing it. :crazy:

You can also tell if red cars have had panels repainted as the look a different colour at night under street lights. :eek:

Last edited:
I suspect this is paint oxidation of some form. A good paint cleaner and then a re-wax should sort this. Check out the e-book link in the power polishing thread.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6997

The e book covers this, best solution is to get the Porter Cable Polisher!

JohnG said:
I also have a fifteen-year-old Ford Ecsort Mark IV (collector's item of the future) .

You have got to be joking? :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom