Red faces over yellow line fiasco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder how much money they've wasted doing that, cos now they have to pay to remove and repaint the lines again.

looks like the road was resurfaced and the lines painted while the parked car was still there, could have been there quite a while and im gonna assume they did it cos if the yellow lines are not continous they cant give you a ticket for parking on them, hence the line you get at the end of a set of double yellows.

i bet the contractor was told to do it like that so the council could whack out some tickets despite them denying it.

Just goes to show... Common sense isn't all that common.

But a sense of humour should be.

You just got to enjoy your job with a little mischief sometimes... :devil:

If you read the article and even saw it on the local news last night - you'll see the council are equally as flabbergasted by the stupidity of this particular event and I think it will be one the contractors rectify at their own cost. But you have got to laugh.

Apparently the offending vehicle had a number of notices on it asking for it to be removed and it didn't move for a few days. So why not just either break the lines temporarily or tow the car!

Remember though - this is the same LA who did put double yellows around an actual roundabout! I drive through it every working day and it always makes me smile:D

looks like the road was resurfaced and the lines painted while the parked car was still there, could have been there quite a while and im gonna assume they did it cos if the yellow lines are not continous they cant give you a ticket for parking on them, hence the line you get at the end of a set of double yellows.

i bet the contractor was told to do it like that so the council could whack out some tickets despite them denying it.

But they are not continuous.

Look further back up the photo.................

Could be a T-bar at the end of the line, into an entrance way, and then new lines beyond.

Also note the broken glass on the ground where the yellow lines bulge out, I know smashed side-window glass when I see it :eek:

quote from the article

We will speak to the contractors to remind them to use common sense when painting temporary road markings in the future.

like a council knows the meaning of common sense, they must get in outside contractors to teach the outside contractors about common sense,

What was stopping them just towing the car away to allow the money grabbing yellow lines to be painted?

What was stopping them just towing the car away to allow the money grabbing yellow lines to be painted?

Presumably because they had no legal right to.

And as to the "money grabbing yellow lines"; If you bothered to read the article rather than jump to conclusions you will see:

"The lines have been put down whilst Hyde Terrace is being refurbished to prevent parking issues. The correct road markings will be reinstated on completion of the work."

But they are not continuous.

Look further back up the photo.................

They are continuous only because they painted around the car. If the lines had a break where the parked car was, the lines would have no legal founding.

This being the case, I suspect that the lines were in fact given considerable thought and the contractors most likely did the right thing given the circumstances.

If the lines had a break where the parked car was, the lines would have no legal founding.

Not true actually, as adjudication no longer accept this as a cancel-all get out clause, if the lines are prominent enough to be obvious that there is a restriction.

So, go careful if that's your only line of defense

So have they actually changed the law or are the adjudicators acting on their own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom