Redex - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
I've got an OM606 W210 which seems to be running pretty well, but judging by the state of the fuel filler (it was like a dirty old chip pan 'til I cleaned it) the car's spent some time running on veggie oil mixed with diesel.

Other than the filters / in tank strainer (which I'd expect to need sorting), I'm a bit concerned about other greasy deposits building up in the fuel injection system, so would it be worth sticking some Redex for diesel in the tank to try and flush things through?

I've used redex successfully in the past to unclog a very coked up 70's carb engine, but is it just 'snake oil' where modern(ish) diesels are concerned?

I've got an OM606 W210 which seems to be running pretty well, but judging by the state of the fuel filler (it was like a dirty old chip pan 'til I cleaned it) the car's spent some time running on veggie oil mixed with diesel.

Other than the filters / in tank strainer (which I'd expect to need sorting), I'm a bit concerned about other greasy deposits building up in the fuel injection system, so would it be worth sticking some Redex for diesel in the tank to try and flush things through?

I've used redex successfully in the past to unclog a very coked up 70's carb engine, but is it just 'snake oil' where modern(ish) diesels are concerned?

Just run the car on "super" diesel fuel for a while, the detergents should clean the fuel system as you drive.

I used to add Redex to every tankful for many years, works a treat, highly recommended, though nowadays I just fill-up with Shell V-Power which already has all the required additives so have no need to use Redex. But to your question, yes Redex is very good.

No. Add 10% petrol.
Did the PO tell you it's been on a veg. blend?

Thanks all, that's good to know, there's nothing like a good detergent for shifting those stubborn grease stains :)

No. Add 10% petrol.
Did the PO tell you it's been on a veg. blend?

Yes he did, and it's pretty obvious from the grease buildup too, I remember it well from my alternative fuel experiments on an old Montego. If anyone's interested the greatest power booster came from adding 10% ATF to standard diesel, but it smoked like an old sailor! And the cleanest exhaust emission came from 100% biodiesel with very light LPG fumigation; I've always wondered why car manufacturers went with particulate filters rather than the more sensible option of burning off particulates with a slower-burning secondary fuel.

As for the petrol, I can imagine that would work rather well on the OM606's piston pump as long as there aren't any delicate sensors in it, will give that a try if it does start to show signs of fuel starvation.

But for anyone wth a common rail system or an electronically controlled rotary pump (e.g. some sprinters), whatever you do, Don't add petrol to your diesel! Otherwise the pump bearings will not get lubricated correctly and the life of the pump will be greatly shortened. Or even worse, some of the sensors in 'budget' Bosch pumps (e.g. the VP series) will dissolve in petrol or 100% biodiesel, instantly rendering your pump scrap.

Last edited:
TCW3 2 stroke oil is said to be a cheap and effective diesel fuel additive. I've only tried on petrol and the detergent content does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom