Redex Diesel fuel system cleaner, any good ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc estate

MB Enthusiast
Car
C Class w205 220d AMG Premium line 2016
Hi, i have just got my E320 cdi 06 estate 76000 miles and love it, but most of the time it is only driven about 1 mile with maybe a burst of 40 miles at the weekend, i was thinking of putting some redex in the fuel tank for a bit of a clean up with the injectors etc, in the mb handbook it says don't put any fuel additives in tank, does anyone know if it is any good or DONT put anything in because it may bring on trouble? Thanks

Driving short distances of a mile or so are not good for diesels. These diesels are built for autobahn cruising really

Yes i know, thats why i was inquiring about the Redex treatment, thanks. I will have to stop working and go on a long drive and enjoy myself and car.

Last edited:
I use millers diesel eco boost or whatever they have renamed it to. Iv used this in my Merc and BMW with no adverse affects. You just need to stick to the ratios they specify and also dont use it on every fill up. I usually use it every 3 fill ups or whenever i remember. Its usually whenever i remember so maybe once every couple of months.

Forte is the recommended additive ive been told about by mechanics

I can recommend Redex as a company because I used their petrol additive for many years and it works very well - however I have no experience with Redex Diesel additive.

MB are actually not opposed to fuel additives as such, their concern is that drivers can't be trusted with the mixture ratio and MB therefore recommend that fuel additives should only be used where they have been added to the fuel by the fuel provider and not by the driver.

Which brings me to the subject of Premium Fuels... regular use of Premium Diesel should provide the fuel system with all the cleaning additives that it needs. Interestingly, according to some (non MB) car forums use of Premium Diesel can also help eliminate DPF issues on cars driven mostly short distances.

The problem is you are underusing your car & any additive is just a patch on the problem.

Just take it out & drive it!

My old man just pootles along in his V70 D5. I take it out for an Italian tune up every now and then. It does kick quite a bit of crap out at first then quickly clears.

Short runs are bad for all internal combustion engines, but less so for diesels. The petrols run rich and petrol washes their bores of lubricant. Not the case with diesels. I would suggest you add 250ml of 2 stroke to each tank full. I've been doing this for 18 months on my OM646 220 Cdi and others (disels) and am happy it allows them to run cleaner, and restores the lubricity missing from modern low sulphur diesel and badly needed in the later HP common rail pumps.
I have posted on this and other forums on 2 stroke and there is much chat on the net on this subject.

By the way, Waitrose do handy 500ml pots of 2 stroke at a reasonable price. Use dino 2 stroke, not synthetic.

That is what diesel Redex is isn't it? Just some 2 stroke in an easy to use bottle? but not as good as normal red 2 stroke.

Fuel additives and premium fuels contain detergents that helps clean the fuel system, including injectors and inlet valves.

This is unrelated to the various issues engine experience as result of short runs, mainly running rich thus generating carbon deposits and washed cylinder bores on petrols, and DPF issues on diesels equipped with them.

In either case - petrol or diesel - an engine that runs mostly when cold will always be subject to more wear compared to an engine that is run mostly at normal operating temperature.

Detergents may help to some extent with eliminating some of the carbon deposits in petrol engines, but other than that they have a different function, so in practice to keep an engine healthy it is best to avoid short/cold runs and at the same time use fuel additives or premium fuels - one does not compensate for the lack of the other....

The problem is you are underusing your car & any additive is just a patch on the problem.

Just take it out & drive it!

Indeed. That usage pattern falls into "Severe Service" conditions and I would be more concerned about rapid oil degradation.

2 stroke oil is best diesel treatment available, have used it for 3-4 years in Freelander and 2012 C200 Cdi.
C200 regularly achieves 65+ mpg at 70mph on cruise.
Plenty of info on this subject on web.
If you have a DPF use semi synthetic, 200 ml per tank.
Self service DPF weekly by driving hard uphill in sport mode.

these fuel injector cleaners are rubbish unless you use it about 3x even then wont be great. I would say use Shells VPower Nitro it will clean out that engine and improve performance and economy. I noticed a huge difference and it will keep that engine running longer

Thanks for all the replies, i think i will put in some Forte or alike, i don't trust myself with the two stroke, and from now on fill it up with Shell V power nitro, Thanks for all the tips, i must drive this car, i seem to wash and polish it more than drive it, Thanks again Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom