Redex Fuel Additive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iben

Hi, just a quick question. I have a W124 300TD with nearly 200K on the clock. Is the Redex Diesel Stuff any good, does anyone use it or recommend using it (whether in diesel or petrol). Any negative opinons are also welcome.

Welcome Iben. :)

There are several lengthy discussions on this forum about fuel additives.

Millers DPS4 diesel additive is used by myself and others.

I find it to be a good product as do other members..

Others have a different view though.

If you have a few days to spare, you could read through on the thread link below.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=64412&highlight=millers+dps4

Paul.

I've used Redex in several cars and believe there is a benefit but not as major as the manufacturers would have you beleive.

Since modern diesel is low sulphur the build up of 'junk' will have less impact than 10 years ago.

You could try an 'Italian' tune up, this definitely works on my 3.0D Landcruiser. All you need to do is rev to 5000rpm or so a few times and watch all the black smoke come out the exhaust. Once you've done this a few times the exhaust fumes should be much cleaner. Best to do it once the engine is up to temp after a 15 min drive. :)

Forte advanced diesel treatment is very good too.

Difficult to know really isnt it, I use to use it in my VW Passat 130 Sports Estate TD but the mileage was lower, I wonder what it will do to an engine if its never had any used before, is it a good idea to use in an old engine or should it have been used from day one so to speak.
Nothing wrong with the car at the moment, just looking at preventative measures to help keep it running smoothly over and above the servicing, like keeping it clean and polished etc.

Probably not helpful but a memory of mine before the days of fuel injectors:
I removed the air filter from my 1600 capri and poured a whole container of redex through the carbareteur while the engine was being revved by my mate, we managed to create so much noise and smoke that half the street came out to see what was going on, I had to drive over a mile until the smoke had at last stopped billowing from the exaust.
I suppose it does prove that Redex does clear things !

A Friend poured a copious quantity of redex through a VW Golf carb then left it to stand for a few hours.
When he came to start it, the starter couldn't turn the engine over and he had to bump start it.

Smoke...what smoke..:rolleyes:

Probably not helpful but a memory of mine before the days of fuel injectors:
I removed the air filter from my 1600 capri and poured a whole container of redex through the carbareteur while the engine was being revved by my mate, we managed to create so much noise and smoke that half the street came out to see what was going on, I had to drive over a mile until the smoke had at last stopped billowing from the exaust.
I suppose it does prove that Redex does clear things !

Hehe - reminded me of a similar story with my brother and I - and an old A reg Mini (as in so old had a floor button push starter). We drove it about to clear it out - like a red arrow on display !! Not very legal, but utterly hilarious and very embarrassing.

Always use Millers DPS4 but agree with Ian the Forte range of products are incredibly good.

I always use Millers in my E300TD.
Have used Forte - Also a good product.

BUT

Millers works our cheaper.
Recommend it strongly.

Johnsco

Thanks to this forum, I started using Millers DPS4 in both my cdi S211 and my 1.9 ttid Saab convertible. Well, after 2 tankfulls, the Saab has definately got quieter (not the quietest diesel to begin with, but now it's not discernably louder than my E! Fuel consumption looks to be better by about 1mpg around town (not earth shattering, but better than nothing I guess) and the off the line acceleration seems to be better too. Never a slouch before with 180 horses, but I do feel a bit more urgency now!

The S211 however doesn't seem to have been effected by the Millers at all - but maybe it needs more time... :)

One of my diesels has 180,000kilos up. Another has 185k miles up. The 300td has 110k miles up. All have redex in them as needed, i.e. before MoTs, when smoke is seen. None has needed work to injectors etc. I also used the petrol version in other cars. I never replaced a carb, and went to high mileages. I don't know if it is the best such product, but I am content. By the way, redex technical said to use twice as much of the petrol version in a diesel, so I could use the petrol version up.

As a follow up to my post yesterday, took my Saab out for a "hard drive" today and boy has it got quicker!! No kidding, the mid range punch is even more punchier and the pull away from lights etc is much sharper. And, unless I'm imagining it, the sound is more throaty, more sporty if you like, than before. This can only be down to either the engine loosening up (7000 miles now) or the Millers. Nothing else has been done to the car. Hopefully the S211 will benefit in time too! :)

Snake oil...it's all in your mind...

Seriously, you think the improvements I'm certain I noticed are just imagination?

I guess performance improvements may be hard to determine as an absolute, but the engine is definately quieter, of that I would stake a serious amount of cash! But, true to say, my S211 has shown no discernable gain of any kind.

:D

Some reason, the Saab appeared to respond better to the additive than the S211. Perhaps it's just more willing to please! LOL!!!

Sorry for dragging up and old thread on this, but just got a bottle of Forte Advanced Diesel treatment earlier in the week (after a little research) and just wanted to know how people suggest uising this. Once only into a half full/full tank. when you fill up BEFORE the diesel (would imagine it mixes better :dk: ) ao when its full....

Or do I really need a couple of bottles?

I used to use Redex quite often in my old Passat TDI (120k) which I got cheap from Costco, never noticed any difference and I am loathe to put what I have left in the CLS. I also used used a can of 10K Boost on the Pasast, it created a lot of smoke at the time of application but I never noticed any difference.

Before I started using this stuff, the car did have a mare and started to lose power. A new MAF and a cleanout of the EGR valve (which was caked in black crud, the pipes were down to 1/4 thickness which is probably a good thing) sorted it out.

I personally feel it is a bit of a waste of money but maybe usefull on something with intergalactic mileage.

But I too would go the 'Italian tune-up' route first.

S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom