Redex Petrol or Petrol Injection Cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jryans10, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jryans10

jryans10 Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz A140
    Hi,

My 2000 Mercedes A140 petrol seems to have started to be a bit nasty on the petrol side (ie. it's eating more than usual), so I thought I'd give it a single treatment of redex.

Can anyone tell me which one I need, the Redex Petrol Cleaner or Petrol Injection cleaner?

Thanks.

2. finisterre

finisterre Active Member

Car:
    Vito, Z4, 530i touring
    I would start with the thermostat

what is redex?

3. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I used Redex Petrol Injector Cleaner (green label) for many years (not on the Merc), and I personally think it is a great product.

But many believe that Forte is better than Redex.

I am not using any fuel cleaner additive on the Merc, because MB say that fuel additives are not permitted so I tend to follow their advice even if the car is no longer under warranty. MB say that use of additive is only permitted when they have been added to the fuel at manufacture i.e. not added to the car's petrol tank by the car owner / driver.

What I do is use Shell V-Power instead. V-Power has detergents added to it, and regular use keeps the engine clean.

If regular use of Shell V-Power is too expensive, you could put some Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate in the car when the tank is empty, drive it hard for a while (i.e. revving the engine), and repeat this every few tankfuls.

4. bpsorrel

bpsorrel MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '20 SLC Final Edition, Lexus IS 300h, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
    Interesting that, when I had some rough running issues a few months back, under advice I ran Redex injector cleaner through a tankful of diesel and it cured the problem, Has run smoothly ever since.. :)

5. Gollom

Gollom MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Asda special offer..... lol

On the same subject, my partner and her son got the normal one (not marked for injectors) She has a Ka and he has a Fiesta Xetec (both of which are injection - but what do I know? :rolleyes:) - will the normal Redex do any harm?

6. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Apprently using redex can cause you to burn more fuel initially until it does its job. I have never experienced this when I have used it, but I do feel that Forte albeit slightly more expensive is a better product IMHO.

7. chitaxmoto

chitaxmoto Active Member

Car:
    coupe
    as others have said forte might be best option and mb do allow/recomend use of cleaning additives they do not allow additives that change octane ratings etc

8. hawk20

hawk20 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    The manual says don't use additives. Full stop.

9. chitaxmoto

chitaxmoto Active Member

Car:
    coupe
    from my manual c class coupe 2011

[​IMG]
    Do not use the following:
    • E85 (petrol with 85% ethanol)
    • E100 (100% ethanol)
    • M15 (petrol with 15% methanol)
    • M85 (petrol with 85% methanol)
    • M100 (100% methanol)
    • Petrol with metallic additives
    • Diesel
    Do not mix fuels such as this with petrol and do not use any additives. Doing so may cause engine damage. This does not include additives for the removal and prevention of residue build-up. Petrol must only be mixed with additives recommended by Mercedes-Benz. More information about recommended additives can be obtained from any Mercedes-Benz Service Centre.

10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk

The technical documentations I saw say that MB do not permit adding fuel additives of any type because the drivers can't be trusted with mixing-in the additive at the correct concentration, and too high concentration can cause damage. This is why they only recommend additives that are already added to the fuel at manufacture (ignoring the Shell fiasco of some years ago...ahhm). They do say that in countries where the quality of fuel is very poor, an MB additive can be used but only if instructed to do so by an MB garage.

Said that, my personal experience with using Redex regularly on two V6 Vauxhall Omegas over a period of 10 years and around 80k miles that it is a fantastic product.

On the second car, I took-off the plenum, inlet manifold, and injector rail when the car had 40k miles under its belt, and the underside of the injectors was squeaky-clean with no signs of staining or deposits, just shiny bright metal. And that's in spite of use of standard 95 petrol at the time. I put this down to the use of Redex.

I am currently using Shell V-Power exclusively - my annual mileage is low so that overall cost increase isn't too bad - and I am assuming that the injectors and inlet valves are probably / hopefully just as clean as it was with Redex...

So I don't really see a problem with using Redex - or Forte which is also highly recommended by some, although I have not tried it myself - or if you want to stick to MB's recommendations then you should be able to get the same cleaning effect with the occasional use of either Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate.

11. ironsheik

ironsheik Active Member

Car:
    W204 C200CDI SPORT.
    The other day, I used shell V-Power instead of regular by mistake.. Only realised half way through filling when I looked at the price indicator..

£1.47 a litre.. My heart sank but continued to fill up..

Anyway, the car does seem to be running smoother than usual and the accelerator pedal seems to be lighter.. Not really noticed any difference in consumption yet..

I think every now and again when im feeling flush, I will use V-Power to give the engine a clean....

12. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    As you said, for the cleaning effect you only need to fill it up with premium fuel every now and then.

If you feel/believe that the premium fuel is giving the car better performance, then you will obviously need to use it all times (although as far as I aware tests showed that the advantages of higher Octane rating are only significantly apparent in highly tuned turbo cars such as the various rally-derived versions of Subaru and Mitsubishi).

13. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    If it's an A class ( w168 ) , i would get it on a STAR and see if the MAS is dying. This is usually the cause of excessive petrol consumption on the A class.

99% it will be the MAS , and they can be repaired by a company called ecutesting.com for about £220.

Before dosing it up with stuff , get it on a STAR.

14. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    That's interesting... albeit on an older car, the W202 rally car had a broken fuel guage for... well, years... That is, until we drove through Morocco, filling up on M15 regularly (or was it E15? not sure, either way, it was 15% *thanol) and suddenly, after a tankful, the guage started working again!

M.

15. A150

A150 Active Member

Car:
    A150 Avantgarde (2006) Previously A140 Classic (2000)
    1 person likes this.
  16. BillyW124

BillyW124 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
    I use redex and only ever used forte once.

i beleive forte is much better.

In things like fuel cleaners etc, IMO they are better fulfilled when you know you are going to have a journey when you know you will be filling up again.

Example 1: When i used the Forte stuff, i had exactly half a tank when i put it in. My trip back home entailed a 230 odd mile drive back to london where my tank was on reserve when parking up on the drive.

I see it more of a benefit 'cleaning' your system this way such as motor way driving. Its contant cycle of the system, thus the tank is being drained all in one go with the treatment in it.

On this drive back to london i noticed smoother engine revouloutions, much quieter, and slightly improved MPG.

Example 2: I use redex just before filling up a full tank. They say to use it with a full tank of fuel. If im on reserve, I would put the redex in and drive untill i really need to fill up. I guess the concentration would be slightly high but i havnt come across any issues....

..though recently my fuel sender messed up giving me weird readings on the gauge so i replaced the sender. Not sure if its related.

17. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
    Compared with what??

How long have you had the car?

You're not comparing driving around with summer temperatures with the now much colder morning temperatures etc.?

I don't think a drop in mpg would be sorted with a cleaner myself.

When I had the E320 petrol it also had a dodgy fuel gauge, never went passed 3/4 full, put in some cleaner and it sorted it after one tankful.

18. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    Arent these in direct contradiction?

19. clever dicky

clever dicky Active Member

Car:
    Jag
    I agree good stuff. Oh and by the way, untill i discovered this ive poured loads of various solvents through mine and never did harm.

20. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration

No, I just don't think a sudden drop in mpg would be down to suddenly getting dirty injectors etc., sure over 15-25k miles, but a sudden drop is more likely a change in ambient temperatures, a thermostat starting to stick so the car is over fueling as it thinks it has not reached temperature etc. etc.

The dodgy fuel gauge in my E320 didn't effect my economy, it just meant that I couldn't see when I had a full tank that's all.