Redline idle....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpowell

I'm new to the pleasures of MB ownership, so those of you who have seen this all before, forgive me. I recently purchased an 86 500 SEC, against my better nature, that has ben parked outside apparently since October 1998 without use. It has what I have since found out to be the common high idle problem, in that it cranks for several seconds before firing up (from cold or hot) and the idle speed rises from 800 rpm to 2000 when it is warm. Researching the web I have found out that the idle speed control module is prone to failure; I have checked the valve operation and it is working when you apply voltage, so I assume the control module is faulty. On my car there are two what appear to be relays adjacent the fuse board under the bonnet, the smaller of which translates into English as an A/C relay, the other I believe is the fuel pump relay. Under the dash by the brake pedal is an aluminium box which contains lots of electrical type thingumyjigs.

I assumed, following advice from others, that this was the idle control module- there are no markings on it. However, when I phoned my local MB dealers they told me they thought this was the cruise control module and the idle control module lives under the passenger seat! Can anyone let me know exactly where the module is? Vin number is 1260442A247803. Thanks.

from memory, passenger side footwell
under carpet there is a metal plate remove this and there is a black
plastic relay the size of a cigarette pack
regards
conect

Mpowell,

Welcome to the forum, I've found it to be most useful.
I think it is recommended that you don't put your VIN on the site.

If anyone needs to know it to get you some info you can always email it to them.

Good luck with your car.

Cheers

Sparky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom