Redneck spring swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Found a broken road spring on the front of the car today and wanted to get it sorted straight away.

Not having an internal spring compressor I asked an indie how much as a labour job, then asked the dealer when collecting the spring, expecting both to say...well it's a 15 minute job, so price accordingly.
When the indie said £60 and the dealer said £117.50, I thought I would do it myself using a pair of external compressors and some strong chain.

Broken spring. Unusually nearer the top, instead the bottom coil.

P1040083_zpsb1ecf49c.jpg

The method is to disconnect the ARB link, damper and hub carrier, then compress the spring by lifting the suspension arm and chain it tight.

I made the mistake of not doing things in the correct order and using a spring compressor to remove the spring.
The best way is just to use the chain.

Old spring out with chain locking it.

P1040085_zpsbd323322.jpg

Clean and rustproof the upper and lower spring cups. Note the lever to press the arm down with to gain enough clearance to remove and insert the spring.

P1040086_zps83782659.jpg

Fitting the new spring was easy as I had tensioned it a bit too tightly. One link more in the chain would have been ideal.

P1040087_zps5a7a66df.jpg

Ensure the alignment is correct, with the bottom coil end fitting into the slot.

P1040088_zpsaeea7732.jpg

If doing this again I wouldn't use a compressor at all while the spring is on the car, just to compress the spring to remove the chain from the old spring and fit it to the new one and I would ensure the chain wasn't compressing the spring too tightly. I had trouble removing the chain one side as it was too tight.

Last edited:
Ingenious:thumb:- my concern would the potential damage of the spring protective coating?:dk: Has anyone tried this SEALEY TOOL?? would appear to fit the bill and very much cheaper than the Klan Type device? Sealey

dimensions might be wrong tho??

Clever,Clever. thanks for that,going in to memory bank.

Found a broken road spring on the front of the car today and wanted to get it sorted straight away.

Not having an internal spring compressor I asked an indie how much as a labour job, then asked the dealer when collecting the spring, expecting both to say...well it's a 15 minute job, so price accordingly.
When the indie said £60 and the dealer said £117.50, I thought I would do it myself using a pair of external compressors and some strong chain.

Broken spring. Unusually nearer the top, instead the bottom coil.

P1040083_zpsb1ecf49c.jpg

The method is to disconnect the ARB link, damper and hub carrier, then compress the spring by lifting the suspension arm and chain it tight.

I made the mistake of not doing things in the correct order and using a spring compressor to remove the spring.
The best way is just to use the chain.

Old spring out with chain locking it.

P1040085_zpsbd323322.jpg

Clean and rustproof the upper and lower spring cups. Note the lever to press the arm down with to gain enough clearance to remove and insert the spring.

P1040086_zps83782659.jpg

Fitting the new spring was easy as I had tensioned it a bit too tightly. One link more in the chain would have been ideal.

P1040087_zps5a7a66df.jpg

Ensure the alignment is correct, with the bottom coil end fitting into the slot.

P1040088_zpsaeea7732.jpg

If doing this again I wouldn't use a compressor at all while the spring is on the car, just to compress the spring to remove the chain from the old spring and fit it to the new one and I would ensure the chain wasn't compressing the spring too tightly. I had trouble removing the chain one side as it was too tight.

Not for the faint hearted, AND I value my life at more than £117.50p

Excellent. I did something similar on a RR Shadow about 25 years ago using a Landrover winch and a lot of welding rods....never again!

There is not many jobs I will shy away from, but after last time I wont be doing Mercedes springs any more.

How long was the spring broken for? The break looks quite corroded.

Brave man I was dead nervous even using a Klan Type compressor , theres a lot of force in one of those compressed, spooked me each time it went in and out on the 124 , I felt like a bomb disposal expert
Boyd

Last edited:
Is the Chain doubled up ie if a link fails still another chain to keep it in place ?
any fail safe engineered in or is that only for us softies

Anytime you want to borrow my Klan Type give me a PM I am in Thurmaston Every Monday Night just down the road from you
Boyd

Is the Chain doubled up ie if a link fails still another chain to keep it in place ?
any fail safe engineered in or is that only for us softies

The chain is a strong chain and was used as two separate loops, both locked off.

Having once used a nylon washing line for the same trick on my Vauxhall Magnum, I was confident of success.

My problem was using the basic clamp compressors. I couldn't quite get the spring short enough, so positioned it ready to slide in and tried wacking it in with a big hammer (I know) One of the clamps flew off and the spring bent in half around the remaining clamp (yes this did make me jump a little)
Said clamp was now bent into a a U shape so I couldn't undo it.
I placed the spring/clamp in an old tractor tyre, then a couple more old tyres on top of that one. I kept my face as far back as possible and put one arm in with the angle grinder and cut through the bent clamp. Quite a twang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom