Reduce oil light comes on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alan a

Car
1986 300SL and 2015 c class estate
2019 C Class reduce oil level light comes on now and then oil level is ok has anyone had this problem and got it resolved

How and when are you measuring the oil level?

The om651 in the commercials don't like oil higher than halfway on the dipstick when cold. If the oil level is on the full mark it goes over when warm and brings the reduce oil warning. The Vito taxis suffer from oil dilution too.

My 2018 E220 does the same come on at random every now and then, but when i check the oil level electronically its tell me oil level ok. { wish i had a dipstick stupid idler to do away with them. } Its going into Mercedes Warrington to have this looked at and a few other faults not very impressed only had it 2 months 21,000 miles on the clock 6th faults in 2 months. The car knows its own way to the main dealers now its a good job im not paying myself. ☹️

On Diesel engines the oil quantity sensors are very sensitive.

If you fill the engine with oil up to the max mark when hot (if the engine has a dipstick), it's technically fine but will still trigger the warning from time to time.

It's best to fill up with oil so that when it's hot it's no more than half-way between and the min and the max marks.

If you don't have a dipstick, you can try removing 0.5L of oil by siphoning it out then checking again.

The other possibility is that the oil quantity sensor (or the wiring to it) has an intermittent fault.

On Diesel engines the oil quantity sensors are very sensitive.

If you fill the engine with oil up to the max mark when hot (if the engine has a dipstick), it's technically fine but will still trigger the warning from time to time.

It's best to fill up with oil so that when it's hot it's no more than half-way between and the min and the max marks.

If you don't have a dipstick, you can try removing 0.5L of oil by siphoning it out then checking again.

The other possibility is that the oil quantity sensor (or the wiring to it) has an intermittent fault.
👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom