"Reduced breaking effect Start engine"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KZsolt81

Car
2003 W211 E270 CDI
Hi,

I got more and more often the following error messages after opening the doors:
"Reduced breaking effect Start engine"
"Increased breaking distance Start engine"

After I'm turning the key (engeine not started yet) the messages dissapear and doesn't come up with running engine.

Is that normal that this is coming up time-to-time but not always. If not, what I have to check, how can I fix it? :dk:

Also, sometimes I got another error message "Dipped beam, right" however it seems all headlights (bi-xenon) are working and after restart the engine the message disappear, it's coming very rarely, but coming sometimes. What does it mean, what I need to check / clean / change? :dk:

I've got a W211 2003 E270 CDI.

Attachments

• 20170601_003841.jpg
    20170601_003841.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170601_003912.jpg
    20170601_003912.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170601_003940.jpg
    20170601_003940.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 10
That era car will have SBC if I'm not mistaken. I'd get it checked out as if that fails you'll need hydraulic press legs to stop the car.

Someone with more experience with SBC will be along soon though.

When you turn the key do you hear a clicking/pumping sound? That will be the SBC pump pressurising the braking system, and as time goes on it will get more frequent until you get the red warning sign/visit workshop message.

I would suggest your SBC pump is nearing the end of it's programmed life and either needs to be reset if possible or failing that replacement.

Hi Monkeylegend,

Thanks for the answer.

When I unlock the car I can hear straightforward the pump is working and, as I mentioned, after the key is turned everything seems all right.
I've also made some digging and found that any warning, especially the red ones should be taken seriously and highly recommended to change the SBC module. I'm planning to go for a 3400 miles trip in Europe soon, so I wouldn't like to loose my brakes on the highway with my family.

Get your battery checked too..
It also comes up when the system detects not enough power to run the pump effectively..
A session on Star will check the SBC system out and will tell you if it is nearing the end of life.

Good point Lyserman!

Actually only 52000 miles in the car and it was serviced all time in MB service before I recently bought.
Also Admiral connected their ****tlebox to the little battery (if that is which provides the power for the pump), probably that drains the battery enough to get this message after an overnight.
Anyway, I will bring to readout the data, that's the ensured way to know what's going on.

I don't think that's a message to indicate a faulty pump? Possibly low voltage or another electrical issue hence the recommendation to get the battery checked (front one). Possibly when the engine is started there's enough power for the pump to run due to the charging voltage from the alternator.

Doesn't it usually show 'Service Brake - Visit Workshop' or something like that on startup when the pump is suspect?

Needs proper investigation on STAR though.

FWIW, the mileage/SBC pump thing seems a bit of a myth - I'm on over 150k/13 years now on the original.

Replacement is about the same cost as a set of discs/pads all round on my car, when you work it out it's not the ends of the world IMHO :)

I have replaced mine at 180k miles , because it failed.

I have replaced mine at 180k miles , because it failed.

You had your money's worth then! :thumb:

If the battery voltage is low you can sometimes get another message re electrical consumers being switched off until the voltage is increased. This used to effect the air con on my older 2003 E class.

My SBC pump was replaced by Mercedes when they were still doing the goodwill thing, the car had done just over 200k mainly motorway miles.

Complicated things these cars.

Good point Lyserman!

Actually only 52000 miles in the car and it was serviced all time in MB service before I recently bought.
Also Admiral connected their ****tlebox to the little battery (if that is which provides the power for the pump), probably that drains the battery enough to get this message after an overnight.
Anyway, I will bring to readout the data, that's the ensured way to know what's going on.

Money on it being that box, it's there to give you brakes in an emergency and has no drain otherwise so a constant drain would more than likely register as a fault. Hopefully it just needs ripping out rather than it has buggered your electrics!

Surprised they found it, not surprised they'd be stupid enough to attach something to it though.

If the battery voltage is low you can sometimes get another message re electrical consumers being switched off until the voltage is increased. This used to effect the air con on my older 2003 E class.

My SBC pump was replaced by Mercedes when they were still doing the goodwill thing, the car had done just over 200k mainly motorway miles.

Complicated things these cars.

I think the electrical consumers message is usually to do with the main battery (~100Ah) in the boot not the small one up front for the SBC pump as in the OP's case.

Money on it being that box, it's there to give you brakes in an emergency and has no drain otherwise so a constant drain would more than likely register as a fault. Hopefully it just needs ripping out rather than it has buggered your electrics!

Surprised they found it, not surprised they'd be stupid enough to attach something to it though.

Can't believe this - I never saw that when I skimmed through earlier.

Ironically in the instance the insurance company/their agent have carried out pretty unsuitable modifications to someone's car. Who would tap off the battery feed for something as critical as an electronic brake pump? :ban:

If it were my car I'd be a little concerned by that to say the least. I suggest you contact them and see if there's a technical supervisor type who you could explain the issue to.

I think the electrical consumers message is usually to do with the main battery (~100Ah) in the boot not the small one up front for the SBC pump as in the OP's case.

Can't believe this - I never saw that when I skimmed through earlier.

Ironically in the instance the insurance company/their agent have carried out pretty unsuitable modifications to someone's car. Who would tap off the battery feed for something as critical as an electronic brake pump? :ban:

If it were my car I'd be a little concerned by that to say the least. I suggest you contact them and see if there's a technical supervisor type who you could explain the issue to.

That would make an interesting insurance claim.

Please state clearly what caused you to hit the car in front.

Erm, brake failure.

Please state clearly the reason for brake failure.

Thanks everyone for the answers, it was very helpful but next to get in touch with the insurance company to replace that sh**tlebox into the trunk (i would say in their trunk...) I will bring it for a readout just to be sure.
Does only Merc service can readout or other services also have this Star, system(?), device(?), code reader(?). I'm quite new Merc owner.

Thanks everyone for the answers, it was very helpful but next to get in touch with the insurance company to replace that sh**tlebox into the trunk (i would say in their trunk...) I will bring it for a readout just to be sure.
Does only Merc service can readout or other services also have this Star, system(?), device(?), code reader(?). I'm quite new Merc owner. ��

Any good MB independant will have Star. Where are you located so perhaps someone can advise your nearest indy. Far cheaper than usuing main dealer.
You need to explain Admiral have wrongly attached a box to your auxilliary battery as well.

How are you enjoying driving the car when you have big brother watching over you through that little box of hell :D

Don't ask clk320x!
It was the worst decision ever! Such a crap idiot who found this out. It is impossible to get good rating, at least not with a Merc. Probably a 70 year old lady with a bicycle can get gold rating...
Just waiting to pass the year and get rid off this, eh, that...

Don't ask clk320x!
It was the worst decision ever! Such a crap idiot who found this out. It is impossible to get good rating, at least not with a Merc. Probably a 70 year old lady with a bicycle can get gold rating...
Just waiting to pass the year and get rid off this, eh, that...

:( .. sorry to hear that. Did you pay for it in full or monthly? You may be able to cancel it and pay a small cancellation charge depending on the company

If you are really lucky has it been less than 14 days since you bought the policy? You can cancel it with no fees if that's the case

2 months ago and payed at once. Additionally the insurance got very expensive and hence this is my first car in the UK it is even more expensive. I got it for 930 but if I want to get another one it would be 1800+ now. Crap luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom