Reduced speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
have noticed and i don't know why but I've started driving a lot slower than i used to. Ie 45-50 in a 60 limit and 60 on the M Ways. I just don't feel compelled to go any faster at all and hate it. Think i'm going through a mid life crisis at 56. God knows whats going to happen when i get back out on my bike in the summer. Perhaps my heart attack has something to do with things ???:confused: Flat cap and pipe and slippers next, hahhh.

Bet the HGV drivers love you

Would never intend to slow anyone up and whoever wants to overtake me are welcome.

Same happened to me when I had a c200. It was not fast and just loved to cruise, and so did I in it, albeit not a slowly as you!

Well obviously my c280 is fast enough for British roads but i just don't feel like going fast anymore. Time to retire completely instead of semi-retirement.

Take your time, give yourself time. Keep to the left but don't hold anyone up. Let others race ahead, their time-table is different from yours.

I had a period of driving slower, though that seems to have abated now. Did some proper B road mullering this morning. :devil:

have noticed and i don't know why but I've started driving a lot slower than i used to. Ie 45-50 in a 60 limit and 60 on the M Ways. I just don't feel compelled to go any faster at all and hate it. Think i'm going through a mid life crisis at 56. God knows whats going to happen when i get back out on my bike in the summer. Perhaps my heart attack has something to do with things ???:confused: Flat cap and pipe and slippers next, hahhh.

You are not alone, so welcome to the club!
It`s members have;
Less stress
Slower Heartbeats
More time
Longer lasting tyres
Less fuel consumprion
Happier journeys !

Regards
John

Perhaps youve realised you dont actually get there much quicker. You dont get frustated at having to keep slowing down when you catch traffic and dont have to accelerate to overtake. If youre relaxed its far safer and less stressful. Each to there own of course. Enjoy.

I noticed this, roughly around the time I bought a C63...ironic it may seem, however watching the fuel go down at the same rate the speedo goes up, is quite depressing!

I noticed this, roughly around the time I bought a C63...ironic it may seem, however watching the fuel go down at the same rate the speedo goes up, is quite depressing!

Seems to be a trend .
I once passed one of our C63 members on the M1 in one of my classic cars.

I find my driving style varies according to what I'm driving. Also, I noticed a few days ago that whilst 60mph feels really slow in the GS430, it seems quite fast in the G. If I want to have fun I use the SL.

My car isn't in the same league as the C63, but it's easily the fastest I've ever had. Apart from occasional spurts of fun (such as 150mph along Autobahns a few months ago or short blats along deserted country roads) I actually drive it at a lower average speed than the last few cars I've had. Perhaps it's the pleasure of knowing I can go a lot faster if I want to, and certainly faster than the majority of cars that overtake. I don't want to admit I'm well into the pipe and slippers age group (although I don't own either of those accoutrements).

Seems to be a trend .
I once passed one of our C63 members on the M1 in one of my classic cars.

That is true, I rarely see one hooning round, in fact, the only time I have apart from on top gear, was a friend of mines, which in actual fact prompted me to get one!

Don't get me wrong though, it's an amazing piece of machinery, but it's amazing how quickly you can empty a full tank of fuel!

My car isn't in the same league as the C63, but it's easily the fastest I've ever had. Apart from occasional spurts of fun (such as 150mph along Autobahns a few months ago or short blats along deserted country roads) I actually drive it at a lower average speed than the last few cars I've had. Perhaps it's the pleasure of knowing I can go a lot faster if I want to, and certainly faster than the majority of cars that overtake. I don't want to admit I'm well into the pipe and slippers age group (although I don't own either of those accoutrements).

This may also be true, there's a lot of pleasure in just knowing how special the car is, rather than constantly using that power!

I spent many years driving all over the country for work, at the beginning I did drive too fast on the motorways and did my penance with 7 points on my license.
Then when I was given a car with cruise control and I found that setting it to the legal limit, or below my journeys were a much more relaxed affair.
I too am mid-fifties so it may be an age related phenomenom.
Listening to audiobooks and not having to constantly scan for speed traps made the regular six hour drive from home to Carlisle quite enjoyable.
Tony

Don't get me wrong though, it's an amazing piece of machinery, but it's amazing how quickly you can empty a full tank of fuel!

When I had my AMG Passenger Experience in a C63 at MB World I asked the MB Stig what consumption they got on the track.

His answer was 6 mpg :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom