Redundant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Me. Just been told.

Slightly p***ed off about it, but hated the job and boss anyway....

I'm only mentioning because I have a little side-line, which I am now going to go full tilt on......hoping to become the next Richard B or Stavros....

So please spread the word.....

Linky to my side line

Sorry to hear that :( I was made redundant back at the end of Sept. Still looking for another job or toying with idea of contracting.

Best of luck in your new venture.

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Sorry to hear that :( I was made redundant back at the end of Sept. Still looking for another job or toying with idea of contracting.
I was made redundant in July, I'm still unemployed :( . I too have looked into contract work but most of it in IT is temporary helldesk work, which is not only badly paid but I've "been there, done that" about 5 years ago! Good luck!

Sorry to hear that, fella. Good luck for the future. I will find out in the next few weeks if I'll still have a job in 2004 or if I become another statistic!

Damm, have I started a trend here...... ??

Didn't realise so many MB Club members were IT and out of work !!!!!

Sorry to hear of you being P45d.
However, the same thing happened to me years ago and I moved in a totally different direction, am now a Company Chairman.
Not being flash about it but one door closes and another one opens.
Good Luck

15+ made redundant in my company last week. I was to be one of them, but I managed to get another internal position in the nick of time.

Sorry to hear about your bad news. Chin up!

Sorry to hear of you news and I wish you well for the future. I have just come to the end of my contract so have similar concerns and feelings.

I am not an IT man but your 'little sideline' looks impressive to me and the website itself is attractive.

Whats with all this redundancy marlarkey I thought the UK economy was amongst the strongest in the world (or so Tony and Gordon keep telling us). Or is this just the perpetual attack on fixed costs particularly with interest rates looking fragile and on the up?

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes....IT aint what it used to be is it? :(

Nice looking site you have there WLeg - navigation is a bit of a pain though! Its like looking at everything through a letterbox - mebbe I'll turn my resolution back to 640 x 480 so that I dont waste so much space ;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by NormanB
Whats with all this redundancy marlarkey I thought the UK economy was amongst the strongest in the world (or so Tony and Gordon keep telling us). Or is this just the perpetual attack on fixed costs particularly with interest rates looking fragile and on the up?
I think my redundancy was a lot more simple than that. The two partners that ran the company (only 12 of us in total) fell out, and as a result the partner who favoured admin rather than development was bought out of the business, I (being an administrator rather than a developer) was canned the same day.

Sorry to hear your news.

I work as a programme manager in IT for a major UK retailer, like your site, not sure the name of the business conveys the sort of image you'll need to win the contracts that will take you from "sideline" to mainstream.

I'm sure you've debated the name a lot, but I think the IT sector has matured now and some of the oddities that have made it fun in the past have largely gone away (quircky names, ponytails, shorts and loud rock music playing in the developer area have gone from all but the the niche "games-type" software houses).

Maybe I just see a more corporate side, anyway it was not my intention to write such a critical essay from the heart, I actually truly hope you succeed and that your sideline brings you everything you want it too (cash I suspect!!!!!))

Good luck

Sasha

May not seem like it at the time, but often such an event is a the catalyst for a big change. Looking back on my own P45 experience, I now know that had I stayed with the company life now would not be any better than it was: overworked, underpaid & very miserable.

Still overworked & underpaid (I think so!) but it is on my own terms. Go for it.

Like your website: tap up the local business development agency. Loads of small businesses really struggle with IT basics. if you want to print money work out how to enable fully searchable Access or similar product databases via a basic commercial website.

Small businesses really have trouble with that bit of crucial web functionality & so do far too many so called developers.

Thanks everyone - for both the supoprt and comments on the site....now that I have some spare time, I might update things a little bit !!

Just a thought ....

There are so many amongst us on this site working in IT...and a fair few looking for work.

If there was a thread (maybe in a private area or something) listing skillsets and experiece and stuff then there is a chance that someone amongst us fortunate enought to still be in employment might hear of vacancies coming up that match the skillsets.

I heard only today of one, maybe two IT vacancies in my firm but without knowing people's skillsets and expectations its impossible to know if it/they would suit anyone.

Anyone else think its do-able?

Very sorry to hear of your missfortune WLeg. Chin up, who knows you may just end up as the English version of Bill Gates. I honestly wish you luck, its not a nice thing to be canned.

Actually, I have just looked and there are 3 vacancies in IT. on different levels.

One is junior helldesk. Another is in the Immediate Response Centre - basically high end support on enterprise kit and the third is a Technical Consultant.

Area is near Slough... PM me if you want to know more.

Sorry to hear your bad news. Hope everything works out for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom