Redundant!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidbilyk

Car
S211 E320 CDi Sport
Well good morning all and a happy Friday!!

Having been in a 1.5 hour meeting at work this morning, I (and about 150 others) are being laid off!
This is the first time for myself and will be the only break from employment for 12 years!!!
Has anyone been through it? Or know the first thing to do? Apart from tell SWMBO the good news :doh:

Also means that the E280 I was planning on making pristine will be posted up for sale over the weekend :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sorry to hear the news.

Register yourself as unemployed at the local job centre. I believe the process there will ensure that your NI contributions are continued.

What type of job do you do?

sorry to hear that, I know from friends and colleagues that this can be a release to a different time of life, new beginnings etc. I don't know what to offer as constructive advice but I wish you good luck

Sorry to hear the news mate. I was under consultation recently as they wanted to give me the chop, lucky for me I got saved by another department that I work with. Not a nice experience either way.

There are quite a lot of jobs out there, just a lot more competition for them. A friend of mine who did get the chop here managed to find a better paid job within 2 weeks of being laid off!

As above , register as unemployed .

However , don't rush into selling things off immediately ( unless you're totally strapped , but presumably you'll be getting some form of settlement to tide you over for a bit ) . Wait a little bit until you can think clearly , you can still sell things if you feel it best in the cold light of day .

I've been through the same thing twice : first time after 11 years with the same firm ; second time the firm I joined folded a year afterwards - in both cases I was lucky enough to find alternative employment within a week ! I know quite a few others who experienced the shock of unexpected redundancy but 'landed on their feet' with virtually no loss of earnings and benefitted from a substantial 'windfall' as a result .

Always look on the bright side - and don't sell that car - just yet !

Good luck .

First thing, relax, it ain't personal.

Then after a moment....

Freshen up your CV using online guides like Monster etc for the latest fashions in formatting

Contact your network and let them know you are available or start contacting agents.

Oh yeah then get in touch with the Job Centre type peeps to work out your entitlements and so on.

Everso sorry to hear that, it has happened to me and I started my own business with my modest payout, so take time to think what you really want to do, what you realistically can do, and like Derek says, look at it carefully in the cold light of day rather than selling things that you might not have to.

I wish you all the best.

Don't forget your redundancy payout before you go thinking of selling stuff.

Make sure you check what they are offering, and also try to negotiate where possible.

It may be worth you reading up on the ins and outs of it all online, or contacting an employment lawyer.

You should be playing nice with any senior people who you think might be able to open doors into other similar businesses, be it competitor or client.

Also be sure to start looking at your company's compeititors for jobs. If i were you i'd be contacting them next week, after having a think over the weekend.

Good luck.

sorry to hear your news. Just remember its your job which is redundant, not you!

First thing, relax, it ain't personal.

Then after a moment....

Freshen up your CV using online guides like Monster etc for the latest fashions in formatting

Contact your network and let them know you are available or start contacting agents.
QUOTE]

I second that. Good advice.

You should be playing nice with any senior people who you think might be able to open doors into other similar businesses, be it competitor or client.

Also be sure to start looking at your company's compeititors for jobs. If i were you i'd be contacting them next week, after having a think over the weekend.

Good luck.

A lot of good advice being given above .

Not sure what line you are in , but also consider contacting your CUSTOMERS . Perhaps YOU can start up on your own (or get together with a few others who have been laid off along with you) , doing for yourself whatever it was you did for an employer , and provide the same service directly to your customers ?

Sorry to hear your news:(
I'm sure it will turn out ok. I've been in Motorsport for 30 years and it has happened many times to me as teams come and go. The 'real' world seems to be turning more like the motorsport arena where all the smart people assume they have the job securuity of a stunt man and work from that base. I've been working for myself for the last 6 years now and I'm not sure I would ever want a 'real' job again.:thumb:
Stay positive and if you are good at something in particular, then capitalise on it!

Sorry to hear that news, but lots of good advice above. Just look on this as the closure of a particular chapter in your life and the start of a new one.

P.S. You don't say what you do for a living there might be people on here who could point you in the right direction if they knew that.

Good luck and think positive

Thanks guys, the situation is not very good at the minute. The company I work for sells cleaning to the construction industry, big builds such as the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham etc....

Things tightened up in May/June when the bottom dropped out the market, the banks have pulled the plug on some of our major cash cows and that has left the company facing changes.

I understand the why's and all the reasons behind, it's just a pain in the **** this close to Christmas! :devil:

Fingers crossed I'll get something sorted soon, I have just been on the phone to one company regarding a position advertised and set up an interview for Monday!

I haven't been with this company very long really, Jan '09 so I am sure the package will be pretty poor, hence the sale of the car :mad:

So if anyone has a job going at their place or is interested in a low mileage 1994 E280 with a private plate then get in touch. Advert will be placed over the weekend, I would love for it to go to another Mercedes Fan.

The 'real' world seems to be turning more like the motorsport arena where all the smart people assume they have the job securuity of a stunt man and work from that base.

Yep - that's what I am seeing

Commiserations. Been there a couple of times. To reinforce what others have said and hopefully to add a little:

1. it isn't personal
2. It doesn't mean you are no good at your job
3. It isn't the 'end of the road'
4. a new job won't jsut drop though the letterbox -you have to search.

On Point 4, a few pointers:
1. Use the jobcentre.However well paid you have been you will still get jobseekers allowance for a while and more importantly will get your NI paid.
2. Follow up any and all opportunities that seem remotely suitable. The greatest morale preserver for me was the thought that tomorrow's post could always bring in good news - doesn;t apply if you have no applications in!
3. Most new jobs will come through networking - so use your networks! My first thought when I was told this was 'I don't know many people' - but write it down, map it - it's surprising how many people you do know.
4. Don;t be ashamed to say you are looking for work following redundancy. But steer clear of 'gissajob, Icandothat' - better to let your network know what you are looking for and ask them to keep you informed of anything they hear of.
5. Write several CVs - one for your old type of work, one for describing your experience in terms of skills etc. This helps you to tell yourself exactly what your strengths and experience are - most of us don't think that way when ion a steady job.
6. Write a CV for every job you apply for - don;t just send in a generic one, tailor it so you look like a perfect fit
7. Treat looking for a job as a job - set out hours when you will do it (done properly it can take 3-4 days per week). Be disciplined about it. But also take time off form it, just like you would with paid work.
8 Don't feel guilty about taking time off, playing a round of golf, going to the cinema occasionally etc. Life needs to carry on.

HTH, and best of luck

Last edited:
I was hoping to start a business either late next year or early 2011, sods law!! Hopefully walk straight into another job but the competition is fierce! It's not just us that are feeling it, it's our industry on the whole. We do commercial window cleaning and cladding cleaning, most of our clients have been cutting back to quarterly instead of monthly! 12 site visits to 4!
I knew things were bad but didn't realise it was this bad.

Sorry about it. There is a "redundancy" process in our company too. 9 people had to be off... It is not too much, but we are compay with 20 people, so almost half of us. Process is done and I am still working... for next few months... As R2D2 mentioned - your job position is redundant not you, so take a few days/weeks relax and then you will see that there is a lot job positions waiting for you...

wish you good luck in next few (possibly hard) days...

Sorry to hear the news.

Some good advice here. The only thing I'll add is that there are opportunities out there providing that you're open to them.

The opportunity may be somewhere where you might least expect it, so just be ready to spot it - and take it if it's right for you - wherever, whenever, however and by whomever it's presented.

I wish you luck with whatever comes next. It could be your chance to do what you really want, not just what you're used to.

"your job position is redundant not you"

I like that one!! I'm not one to wallow but it's still a bloody big shock!

Onwards and upwards as they say, so the weekend plans are prepare for my Monday interview and spruce up my CV for each and every job I apply for! Thanks again guys for all the advice, it will be taken in and used!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom