"Refill AdBlue at workshop" message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
Car had it's first service last month and I now have this message on the display and a red light:

20hr8k3.jpg

I'm told this should be done every 10,000 miles, so wonder why it wasn't carried out in the service?! :confused:

Given that AdBlue is urea I'm surprised they don't give you the option to top it up with pee pee yourself with a funnel :D

My ML was topped up at service (1st annual)
After two years the tank has to be completely drained and refilled. Not just topped up due to crystallisation of the chemicals.

It's new to passenger cars and garages seem slow to understand the requirements

I'm not convinced about the use of SCR on passenger vehicles talk about adding complexity for no reason :eek:

I'm not convinced about the use of SCR on passenger vehicles talk about adding complexity for no reason :eek:

It certainly does add complexity. It's yet another sytem that will prevent the car starting if the addition of AdBlue is not detected!

Looks like future EU emissions laws will require it in diesels.

Looks like future EU emissions laws will require it in diesels.

Not sure about that, all the new BMW's are EU5 compliant and I'm pretty sure they don't use additives to get it. As their published strategy a while back was to naturally comply with EU5 and EU6 emissions directives without resulting to additives.

Possibly because of the relative numbers involved? https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/veh01-vehicles-registered-for-the-first-time

Why do it? - according to Wikipedia

Health effects

NOx reacts with ammonia, moisture, and other compounds to form nitric acid vapor and related particles. Small particles can penetrate deeply into sensitive lung tissue and damage it, causing premature death in extreme cases. Inhalation of such particles may cause or worsen respiratory diseases, such as emphysema or bronchitis, or may also aggravate existing heart disease.
NOx reacts with volatile organic compounds in the presence of sunlight to form Ozone. Ozone can cause adverse effects such as damage to lung tissue and reduction in lung function mostly in susceptible populations (children, elderly, asthmatics). Ozone can be transported by wind currents and cause health impacts far from the original sources. The American Lung Association estimates that nearly 50 percent of United States inhabitants live in counties that are not in ozone compliance.
NOx destroys ozone in the stratosphere. Ozone in the stratosphere absorbs ultraviolet light, which is potentially damaging to life on earth. NOx from combustion sources does not reach the stratosphere; instead, NOx is formed in the stratosphere from photolysis of nitrous oxide.
NOx also readily reacts with common organic chemicals, and even ozone, to form a wide variety of toxic products: nitroarenes, nitrosamines and also the nitrate radical some of which may cause biological mutations. Recently another pathway, via NOx, to ozone has been found that predominantly occurs in coastal areas via formation of nitryl chloride when NOx comes into contact with salt mist.

I believe the AdBlue technology was first developed by Mercedes afew years back for some of its diesel engined cars in the United States because there were several US states that did not permit diesel cars with high NOx emissions

While I agree about the added complexity thing in general terms - just how much training and additional high tech workshop equipment is required to add a bottle of p*ss to a plastic tank during a routine service---- its not exactly rocket science? ;)

Last edited:
- just how much training and additional high tech workshop equipment is required to add a bottle of p*ss to a plastic tank during a routine service---- its not exactly rocket science? ;)

Well there's another MB first, they've been taking the p*ss for years now they are going to charge you to take it :D Don't let it be said the Germans don't have a sense of humour :p

-"Fill up with Adblue - Fill up, subject to a separate repair invoice With code (U42) Blue TEC (SCR) diesel exhaust treatment"

--------------------------------

Looks like it should have been done then.

Yes but would be seperately chargable.

Kick up about the fact that a service item had been missed and how many other checks have been missed? Tell them to fill it up FOC or repeat the entire service at their cost.

Just wondering: how much do MB charge for AdBlue?

Car had it's first service last month and I now have this message on the display and a red light:

20hr8k3.jpg

I'm told this should be done every 10,000 miles, so wonder why it wasn't carried out in the service?! :confused:

Just recently had the message come up on our S350 - the day before we were to sey off on holidays.

I had a hunt round for (cheap) Adblue - it can be bought on motorway stations, but found that Mercedes sell it for roughly the same price (about £15-£16 for 10 liters).

Just a little tip, though - the can comes with a silly little spout which would probably spray the Adblue all over the spare wheel recess - buy yourself the Mercedes filling tube MBB A0005832204 (£5) - it makes the job easier and fool-proof.

Last edited:
Just wondering: how much do MB charge for AdBlue?

If its anything like they charge for engine oil, something outrageous no doubt
However according to posts I would appear to be wrong!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom