"Refresh" frayed suede(?) seat base on ML500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab9758

Car
CL500 (W216) ex-ML500 ML63 AMG and ML55
Changed cars and now have leather with what seems to be like suede insets. The seating area of the driver's seat is showing wear and has 'pitted' in the way wool pullovers sometimes do.
Can't think of an obvious fix. Perhaps a cover of some sort just for the affected area?

3000 wet and dry paper and it comes up like new.

Use dry obviously.

Off to Homebase! Wonder if there's a sealant or similar to avoid repeat?

They only do it every few years, normally when they get to around 7-8 years old, so just do it again in 7-8 years time.

Anything you put on it will ruin it if you want to stop the bobbling. You could use some Gtechniq Smart Fabric on it, that will stop stains and make it easier to clean, but won't stop the bobbling over the years.

Very useful info, mine is 10 years old and just starting to wear on edge of drivers seat

On the suede or the MBTex?

You can also use one of those suede brushes too, start with the rubber side rather than the brass type bristle, they may be a bit too sharp, if you use that be gentle. Also you can use the suede pumice stone type thing.

I said 3000 wet and dry as thought may people may have that or close to that lying around.

Cool, well just give this a go then.

When you said the side I thought you meant the bolster, which is often MB Tex, and known for coming away from its backing.
Didn't want you coming back and saying "I used the wet and dry and now it is fecked!!" :D

Hi,
I take it the suede like fabric we are talking about here is Alcantara, as I have Audi A4 Cabby and the Alcantara is bubbling on the driver's seat I will give the wet and dry a go. Any particular product to clean it?

It was a mates A4 Cab that I first did the wet and dry thing on, it was really badly bobbled and came up great.

Gtechniq Smart Fabric is a good product to use once done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom