Refurbed my wheels !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyv33

Car
2001 W220 S500
Hey all,

Loving my E320 - keep finding new things on it!

Was driving home from a friends the other day in the pitch black and realised it had lights in all 4 footwells and door handles! :cool:

Anyway, the things most spoiling it were the alloys and front wing.

I haven't managed to source a wing yet but refurbed the alloys in Vauxhall Star Silver.

I read loads of guides but decided I couldn't wait 24 hours between coats so literally sanded each wheel down, 3 coats of primer with 15 mins between coats and the same for paint and lacquer.

I think the results speak for themselves and it only cost £35 in total for all 4 wheels :bannana:

All 4 wheels were in roughly the same condition, what do you think...

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all,

Loving my E320 - keep finding new things on it!

Was driving home from a friends the other day in the pitch black and realised it had lights in all 4 footwells and door handles! :cool:

Anyway, the things most spoiling it were the alloys and front wing.

I haven't managed to source a wing yet but refurbed the alloys in Vauxhall Star Silver.

I read loads of guides but decided I couldn't wait 24 hours between coats so literally sanded each wheel down, 3 coats of primer with 15 mins between coats and the same for paint and lacquer.

I think the results speak for themselves and it only cost £35 in total for all 4 wheels :bannana:

All 4 wheels were in roughly the same condition, what do you think...

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

Big improvement. :thumb:

sorry for the previous response my web browser didn't want to up load the pics so i thought you might have forgotten.

But hey they look very fantastic, very impressive and all for £35! do you live locally coz i have a set that need looking at as well lol

Good job!

For £35 you cannot go wrong :)

Great job. What did you use to mask off the tyres?

Even if you do that ever year its worth it, wheels look 'bigger' also :)

Thanks for the comments !

Sorry about that, I'm at work so had to create the post on my pc then upload the pics to photobucket on my phone, then get log onto to the forum on my phone and edit with the links from photobucket!

I will say the worst part of doing this refurb was the masking off!

First I let the tyre down then used newspaper which I tucked inbetween the rim and the tyre, sounds simple but because there was water in there from when I washed it, the newspaper kept disintegrating and the wind didn't help :mad:

Once done, I used cellotape all around the tyre to hold the newspaper down - but this really was the hardest part though.

I did 3 wheels in one day and it took me about 3 hours per wheel : an hour for sanding down with 800, 1200 then 1500 grit, god knows how long masking it off :p and then the rest spraying and waiting inbetween coats.

Anyone can do it if you have the time and patience plus you can admire your handy work whilst having a beer with the money you saved from not getting it done professionally!

Just need to find some 19 inch e55 AMG rims on eBay that need a refurb :thumb:

Fantastic job!

I've just done the alloys on my other half golfs, your bang on about the masking off, drove me nuts!!

Upside, it really has improved the kerb appeal :thumb:

Downside, now my father wants me to do his! :wallbash:

Upside, it really has improved the kerb appeal :thumb:

I suspect it will improve the kerb appeal in other ways too:

Mint wheel + Kerb stone + Parking Manouvere = More masking

:eek: :D

Great work! I think they deserve some chrome star centre caps :thumb:

Looks like all the time you have spent on re-furbing has paid off. They look superb!!

WOW they look great,

i was contemplating doing my c class alloys as they were diamond cut but now the laquer has lifted on all the alloys.

Will give it a go for the sake of £35 if it dont work out i can buy another couple of cans and still would have paid less than a refurb..

Raj

Hi all. Newbie here. First post.

I found a useful way of masking when spraying my wheels, which worked for me, and it was quick.

Get an old manila A4 file, made of light card (the type that is found by the million in filing cabinets). It opens out to just over A3 size.
Hold it against the rim, run your thumb round the card , pressing hard against the rim, then cut along the curved line you have produced.

Then, as you spray from an aerosol, hold the card just under the outer rim, against the tyre. Move the card round the wheel as you spray. It requires a bit of practice, but is soon mastered. I also wiped the tyre with washing-up liquid first. If any overspray gets onto the tyre, this makes it easier to wash off, using a kitchen nylon pad.

I agree about the centre caps!

Thanks for the suggestion on the masking, hopefully it will help others on finding an easier way of doing it :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom