Refurbed your own wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DucatiEVO

Car
2012 Mercedes C250 AMG Sport Plus Estate
Anyone refurbed their own wheels? The diamond polished ones on my car are quite badly scraped/flaking, seen a few YT videos on the subject and seems pretty straight forward....Otherwise my usual place (Lepsons-Kent) charge around £600 to refurb...trying to avoid spending that kind of money on the 'runabout' lol

:)

Yeah I've done it a couple of years ago. Here's my video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have also done diamond cut aswell. As long as the corrosion hasn't gone through to the actual metal and it's just the lacquer, it should be all good.

Thanks, but sadly the corrosion is into the alloy itself....the YT vids I saw online the dude was using a sander and removing the aluminium lol, tbf though they didn't come up to bad! Might just be I leave it until I need new tyres and get them all done together...might be a while though as the tyres aren't very old. lol

No point.

Just get a proper refurb done, powder coat will last for ages… (arguably not as good looking as diamond cut)…

You might consider 'City Powder Coat' in Brummingham

I prefer paint powder coat. Powder coat is very hard....but this also makes it more brittle than paint a more likely to chip off in minor impacts.

Have a go. I was in the same dilemma a while ago.

Fundamentally,
  1. Diamond cut is best aesthetically by far and costs about £500-800
  2. Powder coat is good for longevity and would typically cost £150 -300
  3. Painting by a competent shop allows 2 or 3 colours and would be £200 -400
  4. DIY @ home costs less than £50+effort

They are very cheap.......and cheap for a reason
City Wheel refurb are excellent, the quality of work is superb in my experience.

I think that Diamond cuts are for pampered garaged cars or fair weather cars only......just not tough enough for UK weather. Sooner of later the the moisture gets under the lacquer (stone chips or kerbing) and makes it turn milky white or you get bubbles or you get that spiders web effect under the lacquer. I would never buy a new car with diamond cut wheels, The diamond cuts on one of my Audis needed spraying after when the car was only about 4 years old. Water got in where the clear lacquer was thinnest...generally the sharp corner's.

I think that Diamond cuts are for pampered garaged cars or fair weather cars only......just not tough enough for UK weather. Sooner of later the the moisture gets under the lacquer (stone chips or kerbing) and makes it turn milky white or you get bubbles or you get that spiders web effect under the lacquer. I would never buy a new car with diamond cut wheels, The diamond cuts on one of my Audis needed spraying after when the car was only about 4 years old. Water got in where the clear lacquer was thinnest...generally the sharp corner's.
Agreed - the problem is that the marketing gurus have decided that we all want diamond cut wheels. It's getting increasingly difficult to buy a car without them.

Have a go, what's to lose. If your not happy or make a mess, take it to the pros. Good luck & post some pics so we can criticise:p Just kidding:thumb:

Hi , diamond cut wheels in Portugal are very popular on new cars.I have seen wheels with curbing issues but never any other problems even on Mercedes cars !

I actually had the wheels off the car yesterday, and they are worse than I thought...one has a buckled inner rim, although it still drives ok, and another looks to have had perhaps a repair...not 100% sure. Weighing up the state of them, I think I'll prolly try and source a decent s/h set in the future and knock mine out cheap as winter runabouts or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom