Refurbing 3 piece split rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bleazzy

Car
Sl60 amg
Looking to get my alloys refurbed ,they are 3 piece split rims ! Any recommended guys in the east Anglian area ?

Attachments

• image-2955868541.jpg
    image-2955868541.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 26
Just had some diamond cut wheels refurbed at Wheel Worx. They appear to have done a good job.
Recommended to me by my preferred tyre supplier and also by local Chips Away guy.
Depots at Bury St Edmunds & Colchester

Lepsons do a split rim refurb service, they are nationwide.

Split Rim Wheel Refurbishment | Lepsons

Out of choice, the rim on the AMG OZ split rims looks great polished, but it's a real ball ache keeping them looking good. I had a set of BBS RS's finished like this and was forever polishing them.

In hindsight I'd paint the dishes in a chrome finish and paint the centres your chosen colour.

Last edited:
Cheers guys I ll have a look at them was looking for something like this maybe but might be Abit to bling and stick with original

Attachments

• image-2511208407.jpg
    image-2511208407.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
Got one ages ago new! as was damaged but cost a fortune but now makes the rest look so dull so thinking of having all four done so they are matched as want to look as original as possible on car

Attachments

• image-861080741.jpg
    image-861080741.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 18
Originally the centres were painted and the dishes polished and lacquered.

You'll be buying shares in Autosol if you have four fully polished OZ split rims.

Red C220 said:
Originally the centres were painted and the dishes polished and lacquered. You'll be buying shares in Autosol if you have four fully polished OZ split rims.
The second picture is the good one on the car now ! And yes I think this is going to be a pricey project to finish to get the car to 100% but I have time on my side at the moment! And am doing the ignition loom this week so fingers crossed the engine will be fixed or I ll be re mortgaging haha

Bleazzy said:
The second picture is the good one on the car now ! And yes I think this is going to be a pricey project to finish to get the car to 100% but I have time on my side at the moment! And am doing the ignition loom this week so fingers crossed the engine will be fixed or I ll be re mortgaging haha
I am gonna go with the original paint and laquer as I don't won't to be spending my life polishing , good point red !!

The thing is, that laquer on the polish doesn't seem to last, so I'd be inclined to get a chrome paint finish on the dish that replicates a polished laquer finish, otherwise you'll be doing them annually.

I will rarley ever use the car as it will be garaged! As its one of 49 made, I am led to believe so far! so I am happy to polish rims now and then and as the garage has heating it should be ok just to have rims polished as original and paint centres

If the car is garaged, a bare alloy (polished and waxed) finish will last for months.

If that's what looks best, don't let the effort of polishing the alloy put you off, in a reasonable environment, it will be easy to keep them looking good.

I rebuilt mine myself - it's about 10hrs work all told, mostly prep.

I use Megs NXT polish and Planet Polish WSS, it lasts about 6 months between interventions. You could consider something like Gtechniq C5, but I've seen variable results on the polished surface, almost like water marks in the finish.

I assume you're getting Si Leck to do the loom?

Doodle said:
I rebuilt mine myself - it's about 10hrs work all told, mostly prep. I use Megs NXT polish and Planet Polish WSS, it lasts about 6 months between interventions. You could consider something like Gtechniq C5, but I've seen variable results on the polished surface, almost like water marks in the finish.
how hard was it to remove the bolts from the alloys I am scared of snapping them , I am temped to have ago as I have a lot of the relevant tools to hand in the work shop ! And time on my side

Attachments

• image-3020459180.jpg
    image-3020459180.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 11
Bleazzy said:
how hard was it to remove the bolts from the alloys I am scared of snapping them , I am temped to have ago as I have a lot of the relevant tools to hand in the work shop ! And time on my side
This is the good one up close

Attachments

• image-1634816263.jpg
    image-1634816263.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 13
E55BOF said:
I assume you're getting Si Leck to do the loom?
I will be changing the ignition loom myself tomorrow will take a photo diary as I go for anyone else who wishes to attempt this them selves, have consulted with some great Sl minds and hopefully should be straight forward enough starting from distributor working backwards, the loom is aquired and is exactly the same as an sl500 and have purchased the non bio degradable harness that comes in the later Sl models ! Which I will change first

Attachments

• image-3839811346.jpg
    image-3839811346.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 7

Not difficult, just time consuming. They're only done up to circa 20ftlb so an average size ratchet will easily deal with any seized ones, and you can get good purchase front and rear. Very little chance of snapping any.

I used an air driver to undo, and then hammer and punch to tap out any bolts that didn't fall out. Then the tedium begins - 140 bolts and nuts to clean the threads on with tap & die. This bit is really worth doing as it makes reassembly a breeze, but it'll make your hands and wrists scream by the end of it!

Doodle said:
Not difficult, just time consuming. They're only done up to circa 20ftlb so an average size ratchet will easily deal with any seized ones, and you can get good purchase front and rear. Very little chance of snapping any. I used an air driver to undo, and then hammer and punch to tap out any bolts that didn't fall out. Then the tedium begins - 140 bolts and nuts to clean the threads on with tap & die. This bit is really worth doing as it makes reassembly a breeze, but it'll make your hands and wrists scream by the end of it!
well I have an old damaged wheel that I can strip first for testing to see how I get on and see if I am mentally up for the tedium !! And if that goes well I may take the challenge on. Cheers once again doodle !!

Don't forget that the OZ bolts are 10pt, and need a different tool to undo them.

Happy spannering :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom