refurbing my old 16in W210 avantgarde alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
I've given my alloys a good de_painting, wetndry etc, but where the actual rim of the alloy is, and the 'spokes' have caught the odd kerb, I have some nicks in the surface. The rim, I've brass-hammered back into shape, where some major damage occured.

So where I'm missing bits of metal, what would be the recommended method of filling these areas? Will araldite metal epoxy do the trick?

I would say though, what a thoroughly pleasurable job this is. I can't believe the difference one day spent with some good sandpaper and a coupla cans of beer can make. I just want to get em painted up! But the dings and heavy marks are just holding me back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

No. But well done for crackin' on and doing it yourself.

At least my post will get you back up to the "top of the shop" again.

To fill marks around the rim I've used chemical metal before, sands down easily and leaves a good finish. For smaller marks I've used normal body filler if it's away from the edge of the rim. Hope that helps.

Normal body filler, isopon etc is sufficient, unless the holes are huge.

Thank you chaps, will go with your suggestions as the dings are fairly minor, but would show through shiny new paint.

Cracking way to spend a bank holiday evening, I can see the missus drumming her fingers now!

I've done a few wheels where I filled the dings with ordinary filler then primered them them before top coating with good results, it didn't show through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom