Refuse collections

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Gollom, Sep 28, 2008.

Should refuse collection be:

1. Fortnightly

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Weekly

54 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Why should they though, its there money to waste on excess, their choice. Why should this change be forced upon them because refuse collections are being cut back when council taxes are not. You get what you pay for, we paid council tax that afforded weekly collections, it goes up and you get less.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Wrong.
    You need to think of the bigger picture.
    There is a mandate to reduce waste going to landfill as they are filing up and it's simply wasteful and there is a requirement to use less raw material.

Councils still provide a weekly service, it's just rubbish one week, recycling waste the other. In fact we get MORE collections under the recycling system than before.;)
    One week we get one collection for recycling, the other we get two collections, one for rubbish, one for garden waste.

3. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Because all the holes in the ground where we dumped out unwanted stuff are full or almost full.

If we don't make and effort to cut down on our wasteful ways we'll end up drowing under it all.

We've all got to make the effort, but people are lazy, so councils have to give us a prod.

4. comports

comports Active Member

Car:
    CLK 350 Cabriolet
    It works slight;y differently here. We have weekly collections. Every week they collect household waste and then alternating garde/plastics against tins/bottles/paper. It seems to work fine.

I do however understand people who live in flats/small houses with no gardens etc.. I'm lucky to have a garden and be able to recyle. I have a composter that I use regularly fornon meat waste and most garden stuff.

I have a lot of waste as well becasue we (now) have 6 kids and 2 adults in the house. We can lose some of the meat waste as we have 2 dogs but again, lucky we can do that.

Every week we have at least 4/5 general waste bags and a box full of paper/card or a box full of plastics/tin/bottles. We are quite particular about being as green as we can but there is simply too many of us to cut back much more..! It's not feasable for us to "buy what we need for today" or we'd have to be at Tesco's every morning to shop ..!! The onus must now lie with the producers/retailers to make green packaging or we will not win this battle.

5. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer

Thats the system we have, and it works fine as it has been made easy for us to recycle- i.e. bar an extra bin our lives haven't been effected apart from the better as we need to buy less bin liners (all expenses that can be cut are good for a scotsman ;).

My comment in my last post was in much to point out a specific mentality that does exist that has been completely ignored in this thread, and to throw a spanner into the works. Why should green incentives make us suffer, it has to be made easy and probably for it to take off easier and better than the system it replaces.

If the government/councils want us to recycle they have to make it easy as possible as people are fundamentally lazy and are set in their ways. Supermarkets are even more so and the amount of packaging is ridiculous but short of a complete shift in shopping habbits packing waste won't see a decline.

Wheelies are fine but area's where rubbish overflows like modern flats or households that generate a lot of rubbish as there are lots of people with them even with all the recyling in the world a fortnightly collection may not be enough.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  6. portzy

portzy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    Why should people adjust their lifestyles though? I have far far better things to do than spend my time examining and sorting my rubbish in order to establish what items go into which bins.

Chris, my better half, does this with tins and glass but she has to make sure they are completely spotless and label free so she puts them in the dishwasher :crazy:. Where's the sense in that?, hot water - detergents - electricity etc.

Then, it all goes in a seperate wheelie bin which we have to drag to the top of a 50 yard inclined drive. The LA then has an off day and the collection does not take place (as is often with the other bin) and we have to wheel in down again or risk a fine.

Sorry, but HMG signed up for all this landfill tax - CO2 - Save the Planet - Kioto - mallarkey not me so why dont they employ some bio-hazard suited & booted experts at the depots to sort the stuff out if they are really serious?

Anybody seen any benefits of all this green tax or compulsary recycling activity yet? Anyone see the TV programme the other week where some (lots) of recyclables ended up being buried in India? Ever so slightly off topic but nevertheless associated with the topic but, anyone had sight yet of an "Integrated Transport Infracstructure"?

Portzy.

7. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Apparantly the packaging thing is a bit of a double edged sword, as if you reduce food packaging there's far more wasted food.

Some of the toys (all from China - does nobody else make toys??) we buy for our offspring come in massive packets (the stuff from toysrus) yet we brought a few in Sainsburys/Tescos and they were loose with just a small tag.

Mercedes can go a bit overboard, wooden crates and huge triple wall boxes for panels etc

8. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Sorting your *own* waste so that it can be recycled is not really that hard....

We've all got to do our bit.

9. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Do we? Who told you, where did you find out. This do your bit mentality has creeped in over the last decade but for the life of me I can't see why. Don't tell me, it was the government who has been touting this....

If recycling is easier its easier. Our system is very easy and user friendly so I do it and its successful. However the one portzy illustrated is oppressive and will fail. Given council taxes go up, I think the system we have is very good and gives some perceived tangible benefit, i.e. an extra bin and an easy way to cut down buying bin bags etc. However other systems aren't as good and I'd be livid if it were enforced/I was guilt tripped into doing my bit.

10. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    We've got to cut down on waste and pollution, we've all got to do our bit.

Grass roots action, innit.

Just like as individuels we've got to take action to stop the nanny state/anpr/compensation culture issues too.

11. nick mercedes

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    On the Charley Boreman/Russ Malkin By Any Means episode last night they showed some Chinese bloke going around collecting recycling, and actually paying for it, £1.30 for a 6kilo pile of newspapers!!

So clearly in some parts of the world there's a ready market for our waste.

12. Benzowner

Benzowner MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    I have not read all of this thread, so appologies if this has been repeated. We have had fortnightly collection for three years and IMO is the worst and possibly most dangerous decision for health reasons the local authority has made. It is all very well to try to reduce the amount of waste food etc, but if you have pets, try forcing them to eat all their food, and cleaning up after they have cra**ed and flushing it down the loo. If you have young children with nappies..........:( During the summer, maggots are a regular visitor to by waste bin, even though it is cleaned out after every empty with disinfectant. It also appears, there is limited or no continuity between councils. In, what was the old Avon Council, to my knowledge there is three different arrangements. Where I live, black bin for waste, green bin for boxed, cardboard etc, a small green box for tins, jars etc and a green bag for waste paper. In other part, they have only two bins. I am sure this system is still experimental and may be changed in the future for the better I hope.

13. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Well thats a bonus, if someone wants to buy my rubbish then even better :D

So long as its easy for me to recycle I am fine with it, it doesn't impinge on my life but a lot of packing that is thrown out still can't be recycled. Food waste is all well and good, we have a massive garden and wildlife that can eat it. Not everyone does and thats why I think the weekly collection is still needed for quite some time. Even if they take less away its better to have it done regularly than less often so the rubbish doesn't overflow and degrade to the extent its a health hazard.

Lets not confuse waste that can be recycled with waste that cant and I don't see the link between less rubbish collections with a decline in recycling.

14. portzy

portzy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    I could understand doing our bit if we could see or feel something positive and tangible form it all but I'm afraid it all seems far too one sided to me and the whole thing is littered with sticks and not carrots.

Imagine?....

"We will give you (insert number) different coloured wheelie bins with a set of instructions that you follow so you can put all your different recyclables in the correct bins. We will then collect the bins (insert dates) direct from your door, empty them, and replace them exactly where they were. This wil save (insert LA name) some £250 per year on landfill tax, blah blah, (insert green mantras etc) and we will credit your council tax by this amount"

Now, that would make me feel good but this does not.

"You will be provided with five new wheelie bins, all different colours. You MUST put the proper waste in the proper bin (see instructions). We will collect the bins from the BOUNDARY of your property (see dates). Failure to abide by this will result in a FIXED PENALTY of £250 plus a CRIMINAL RECORD (see by-law No 265 attached). The bins must be placed before 07.30 on the day of collection, placing the bins the night before is an offence (under By-Law 265)"

See where I'm coming from?

All sticks, no carrots, very authoritarian, no tangible benefits.

Portzy.

15. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    Very "new Britain"

16. Benzowner

Benzowner MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
    Thereby lies another problem. Waste paper in our area can be put into either the green bin or the green bag, depending on whether it is newspaper or packing paper. No problem, untill you shred it. The it has to go into a black bag and into the black bin:crazy:

17. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    with 2 young kids we have dirty nappies sitting for 2 weeks in the bottom of the wheely bin. Not very nice.

Our childminder who has loads of kids there everyday has a nightmare regarding this as i'm sure you can imagine :eek:

they should collect the waste bin every week. I agree that the recycling bins shoudl be a fornightly thing.

we can only recycle paper waste in our blue bin. We recycle garden waste in our brown bin.

All other recyclable stuff we have to bag up and take to the local tip ourself (which we do best we can).

Mother-in-law in durham has a recycle bin where you can put all sorts of mixed stuff in for recycling.

however, after seeing Tonight with trevor mcdonut a few weeks ago - how much of this actually gets recycled, and how much ends up on landfill in Africa

18. gina2201

gina2201 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    Weekly, we recycle yet still we do not want our small garden full up of smelly rubbush. Charming.

19. bouncer

bouncer Active Member

Unfortunately for me I live next door to a large house which has been separated into 3 flats. There are 8 occupants of said flats and are all under the age of 30, they do not make much noise thankfully :) , but do make quite a pile of rubbish :( . One bin for "normal" one for paper one for green garden waste and a small tub for cans and bottles.
    The house has no garden to speak of, just a yard of about 5feet. The bins are kept in this front yard and are colleted fortnightly and alternately two at a time, as you can imagine these 8 people make more rubbish than the bins can hold. Usually there are several bags beside the bins every day.(more beer cans and bottles than rubbish) :crazy:
    If the bins are not taken out of this 5 foot yard and put onto the pavement then the bins are not emptied for another two weeks :mad: . This looks awful and smells awful the front gardens or yards of these town houses are not for bin storage, I've even taken to puuting their bins out for them. The rubbish used to be put in "normal bins" at the rear of the properties but the collectors deem this too much trouble to either go to the rear of properties or indeed step one foot into the gate and move the bins.
    I have an extra issue with this rubbish, I have air bricks under my bay windows which are only 1inch above the ground. My house is over 170 years old so bad design I think. When I go to sleep at night I have a nice clean carpet, when I get up in the morning my living room carpet looks like a slug raceway.:mad: . . with no slugs to be seen. I think they come through the air bricks at night. I've even tried sprinkling salt an the carpet before I go to sleep, even this doesn't stop them.:confused:
    this never happened before the introduction of the two week bin collection.
    I have had a polite word with people next door and was met with "its not up to us" I have left note for the landlord to contact me but nothing.
    What do I do next, about next door rubbish and the slugs.

sTeVe

20. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    No.

You are confusing recycling, the cost of waste collection and peoples general laziness.

The requirement to place your bin by the boundary has nothing to do with recycling, it's a cost saving measure to keep your Council tax lower.

Perhaps you would prefer the collectors to collect from the rear of your house and pay the extra this would cost.?