Refuse / Recycling Redistribution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ierton

Car
Volvo V60 T6 Recharge - BMW 1250GS
Does anyone else suffer from what appears to be a cost-cutting exercise of emptying everyone's bins and dumping either recycling or refuse in the street in a large pile for a few hours whilst a different lorry turns up? I'm at the end of a road so get all of my neighbours bins outside my house which I don't really want. I have no interest in what they ate over the previous week - the smell when it's hot is horrible and invariably seagulls pecking at the bags leaves bits lying about which the bin men leave behind. Can I force the Council to stop this practice? Our road is an unadopted private road so hoping there's some recourse though I appreciate it doesn't help others in the same position elsewhere.

Isn't littering under any guise illegal?

The council almost certainly uses cleaning contractors. The contractors may or may not be allowed to do this, depending of what their contract says. Talk to the council, if the contractors are not supposed to be doing this, then the council will take action against the contractors. If they are allowed to do this, then complain to the council and ask them to find a different method.

The Council claim the contractors (Veolia) are allowed to do this. I have pointed out that our road has nothing to do with the Council or Highways Authority and is private property.

The alternative would be that they do not come down your private road and insist that all your neighbours bring their rubbish to the end of the road and dump it by the highway for them to collect which sounds like it is outside your house.

You will then probably get it from the night before until the collect it rather than an hour and a bunch of updet neighbours.

Can you park a car where they usually dump it so they have to put it somewhere else?

I'm at the far end of the road so that would suit me fine! The real solution is for them to leave the refuse and recycling in their respective bins and just collect what is suitable for their lorry.

Don't bring logic to a gun fight ;)

So they stack it the dead end of the private road, not at the end where the truck would come in and out of? How odd.

How long it is between collating it and collecting it?

When I lived in Wales they used to do this; that was also an unadopted road, but I don't think that's the reason.

For me the biggest problem was piling the bin bags up such that you couldn't get a car out passed them. - Other than that it didn't bother me, but I suppose I wasn't home during the day to put up with it.

How long it is between collating it and collecting it?

It varies - sometimes 30 minutes sometimes a few hours - sometimes they forget to collect it completely and it stays there all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom