Reg Transfers DVLA And HPI Checks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
My dad has put a deposit down on a very nice V70 D5 SE LUX. It has just had a private plate taken off and it's original plate put back on. It was also registered for disabled tax(or something )

When i did an online HPI check it said neither they or DVLA had any records of the registration. So i went to the DVLA site and did a vehicle check with them. It is on there system and is showing as being taxed etc.

So why do all of the HPI, My Car Check, or any of the other sites say they don't have any records of the car ever existing?

The reg has only very recently be re assigned to the car. Could it simply be that their records are not up to date yet?

check the v5 does it on the front page no plate non transferable, if this is the case the no plate assigned has not been used before and probably why it does not show up, if not i am not really sure why

check the V5 number against the DVLA website as a large batch of blank forms got stolen some time ago. DVLA data is not 100% but someone could have used a blank V5 to create something. Check the VIN numbers on all the places on the car. I might be over reacting but cloned vehicles do exist.

The V5 was not present when we viewed the car. The previous owner had sent it off to the dvla when he transferred his private over to his new car.

The trader rang today to say the V5 had now arrived and suggested that the data that the HPI companies use had probably not been updated yet? Which is quite plausible i suppose?

I will also print off the rouge V5 numbers from the DVLA site and check them against the one for the car.

Many thanks for the info.

Stu

Last edited:
on the car I've just sold, the dealer checked on the Experian system which showed the car still had finance outstanding from the previous owner. After me having a heart attack, he then checked on the HPI system which showed it as finance cleared. Now bear in mind I bought the car over 6 months ago and had the previous HPI cert and a letter from the finance co showing finance clear it does seem that not all systems are updated at the same time.

The V5 was not present when we viewed the car. The previous owner had sent it off to the dvla when he transferred his private over to his new car.

The trader rang today to say the V5 had now arrived and suggested that the data that the HPI companies use had probably not been updated yet? Which is quite plausible i suppose?

I will also print off the rouge V5 numbers from the DVLA site and check them against the one for the car.

Many thanks for the info.

Stu

caveat emptor "buyer beware" applies in all things, don't part with your cash until you are 100% certain all is ok.

Finance houses updating HPI or Experian should happen all the time but things do get missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom