REG VARDY may have messed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Car
W124 300 E // W211 320 cdi
Had my car in at the dealer for a respray went to pick the car up today it started first time then second time it wouldnt start it wouldnt even tick over. The guys at the garage were very unhelpful which wasnt a surprise to me.. I had the AA bump start me and car is now sitting at a local indie !

I spoke to a mate of mine and he told me that i should have left the car there as it was working 100% when it was left with them. It was only in for a respray. According to another pal as the roof was getting resprayed he suggested the garage may have had to take off the interior panels and they could have pulled a wire somewhere? !

Any help would be appreicated

BATTERY may have gone flat/ expired if it was sitting around for a while. I take it they didn't remove the engine or do any welding. Was it just the roof they resprayed? Check the air filter also since paint shops can have lots of dust in the air in some areas.

it could be absolutely anything!

how long was it in there, simple respray? what did you get done?

if the AA jump started it it just sounds like a flat battery

it was just in getting roof resprayed nothing else.. wasnt flat battery already checked. according to the local garage hes hooked it up to the computer and hes saying something to do with the key so im off now to try the second key im hoping its that cos i cant afford to fork out for a ecu

uhmm... could be, but the AA bump starting wouldnt have worked either! in fact it shouldnt have worked!

Update on this .. cars now at the merc garage so im preparing myself for open wallet surgery :mad:

I informed them that the car was in at their sub contractors getting resprayed when i got the car back it had developed this fault.

If anyone knows what could be causing car not to start please let me know

I wonder if putting it in a low bake oven following respray could have harmed anything ?

I wonder if putting it in a low bake oven following respray could have harmed anything ?

Pontoneer said:

Thats a good point ! they had the car for TWO whole weeks and when i get it back its knackered im pretty much raging right now. :mad:

I would be surprised but Smart/Merc Bristol have my forfour in for warranty work on an intermittant gearbox fault, they test drove it for 1 mile then told me it was fine as they couldn't find the fault!

Was told yesterday that my car has it's space-saver wheel on & pic to prove it, wasn't like that last Monday when I dropped it off!!! No call to explain yet though!

Hope they get to the bottom of it & hope it's something silly like key lost coding!

Kate

I hope it is that... Think ill email Merc HQ again and see what they have to say about this mess

Update on this mess.. Happy days are here folks :) Merc fixed the problem it was not starting due to a broken wire at the front sam unit underneath the front fuse box they fixed that and re-set computer and all is working like it should. An hours labour they gave me a little discount total cost £88.13 to fix a little wire !

check your winscreen wipers for judder on screen these low bake ovens somtimes melt them to the screen slightly

Thanks mark ill check that in the morning

delb0y said:
Thanks mark ill check that in the morning

or even at the very least smere the screen on the wipe

i had my car resprayed the dust is everywhere check your rad vains as well as dust collects in there could run at slight higher temp also try to get your car under flourescent light to check the pant finish .......also ask them to check the thickness of the paint over the area there should be a min of microns of cover try a search on here for the thickness

regards

mark.t said:
or even at the very least smere the screen on the wipe

i had my car resprayed the dust is everywhere check your rad vains as well as dust collects in there could run at slight higher temp also try to get your car under flourescent light to check the pant finish .......also ask them to check the thickness of the paint over the area there should be a min of microns of cover try a search on here for the thickness

regards

Under flourescent light what am i looking for??
Will this do the job? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-IN-1-FLOURE...81QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3628QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
back in there work shop if poss to check for areas that need extra buffing ....they look like lighter patches of paint work when I checked my car it was in my works depot which is a very large covered area with flo lighting...try a Benz work shop try to look at the re-sprayed part from all angles ...sorry I was not explaining the lighting bit properly

delb0y said:
Update on this mess.. Happy days are here folks :) Merc fixed the problem it was not starting due to a broken wire at the front sam unit underneath the front fuse box they fixed that and re-set computer and all is working like it should. An hours labour they gave me a little discount total cost £88.13 to fix a little wire !

Another update a week on and its developed the same fault again..:mad: I miss fired it didnt turn the key fully enough went to start again and nothing tried it an hour later and no luck.. so im thinking whatever merc did to fix it was a quick fix .. what do you guys think i should do now?? take car back to MB and tell them to fix it .. im still waiting on MB HQ getting back to me in regards to the bill i paid £88 which i am disputing as the car was fine before it went to reg vardy

any advice highly appreicated

delb0y said:
Another update a week on and its developed the same fault again..:mad: I miss fired it didnt turn the key fully enough went to start again and nothing tried it an hour later and no luck.. so im thinking whatever merc did to fix it was a quick fix .. what do you guys think i should do now?? take car back to MB and tell them to fix it .. im still waiting on MB HQ getting back to me in regards to the bill i paid £88 which i am disputing as the car was fine before it went to reg vardy

any advice highly appreicated

Get back to dealer. Know what they are doing and have been helpful so far. Good luck

I think its very easy to blame the bodyshop in a situation like this.

When i picked up my W202 the glowplug light warning light was on. I could have blamed the bosyshop, they did a full paintjob. But its one of those things really, don't think anyones to blame.

Judging from the title of your post you've already assumed it is the bodyshop's fault. I personally think they can't be held responsible for breaking the wire, and generally i don't start the "name and shame" of a garage until i am 100% certain that they are responsible.

Its very easy to blame someone else, but there is always the possibility that its just coincindental and there is a fault on the car.

Hope you get it sorted soon, and good luck with pursuing MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom