Regarding differential fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello Iam driving a 2002 c class t wagon. Avantgarde automatic

Before I have to pay money, I would like to ask if anyone knows if this car needs differential fluid changing ? It's 15 years old and I suspect it has never been changed

My mechanic told me, it might not be with these models.

Many thanks

It needs changing, I just recently serviced mine and it was a pretty easy DIY job.

Make sure you get the correct kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the diff has the standard 2 plugs-----level/fill plug and drain plug then just make sure you can open the level/fill plug before opening the drain plug---- you would be surprised how many fail the "cart before the horse" test on that one----- ;)

ps some diffs only have one level/fill/drain plug in which case you will need some form of suction device to remove the old fluid

pps this reference listing might help
Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

Last edited:
His model should have the 2 plug which he just needs to drain and upon refilling he does it until the oil pours out from the fill hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll do no harm to change it anyway though, as Mr Grober mentions above, make sure that the filler plug will undo before attempting the drain one otherwise you have nowhere to go once it's empty. :D

Thank you

for all replies, it really helps

My indie did not see the point of changing the diff fluid on my 10 yr old 110000 mile C55 AMG.

But as the car was new to me at the time I wanted all of the fluids changed.

The fluid for this particular diff cost me nearly £40 ! He did try to warn me :eek:.

Go ahead and change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom