Registration mark transfer question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Folks.. need to pick at you brains here..

looking at buying a car from private seller (car x)
our current car has a private reg on it (car y)

A) we are looking to sell car Y, raise cash and buy car X

B) alternatively, we will buy car X and then sell car Y at a later date, to achieve the best price.

Under options A and B, what is the best process to transfer the registration from Y to X?

with Option B, is it possible to transfer the mark from Y to X, using the V5/2 part?

with Option A, is the only way to transfer the plate to put it onto retention first, then sell car, then transfer retained mark to new car using V5/2

We are looking to transfer the plate to new car immediately, ie - not wait 3 or 4 weeks for new V5 to arrive.

please advise..

Appreciate all you help

the best and most cost effective secure way is option B.

buy the car take papers to dvla office effect the transfer, u will also be issued new mot on car X and tax disc accordingly.

new mot for car Y and tax, and letter with allowing u to cut the new (could be you reissued with original no plates if u still got them!) which u fit on car Y

log books in all cases only issued from swansea and takes a few weeks.

when selling car Y, u ask the buyer to put deposit until logbook arrives or if he is happy a receipt and logbook to follow.

bare in mind if he gets any traffic tickets it bares your name best to make duplicate receipt signed by both parties.

u can copy the receipt and send if tickets issued to prove u were not in ownership or driving the car.

Having a cherished plate myself, I have been through this scenario a few times... When buying/selling a car, I put my plate on retention which only costs something like £20 more than direct transfer. I then wait for the original logbook to arrive and only then will I put it up for sale. This is because in my experience of buying and selling, it does put people off from buying yours if they have to mess about waiting for logbooks, tax discs etc in fact, in my early days I lost a couple of sales because I didn't want to take my plates off until after a sale.

Must admit I was always useless at those Maths conundrums; two trains are travelling in opposite direction to each other, one moving at 60 mph, the other at 37 mph, what sandwches will be unavailable to passengers who train X???
I should have paid more attention to Mr Shelton my old Maths Teacher!

Id prefer retention.. but we were thinking of buying and transfering the plate to car.. this weekend.. if we went ahead.. thats all

I've had a personal plate (on my 211) for many years and have transferred it every time when trading one car for another. In all cases I have to admit I've let the dealer do the work! On my old C coupe I bought a plate a while after the car from speedyreg.co.uk and did the transfer myself. Easy process to do yourself. :)

I've had a personal plate (on my 211) for many years and have transferred it every time when trading one car for another. In all cases I have to admit I've let the dealer do the work! On my old C coupe I bought a plate a while after the car from speedyreg.co.uk and did the transfer myself. Easy process to do yourself. :)

i have done it many times.. but never transferring straight from one car to another.. especially as we prefer selling the old first.. for cash flow.

I've always transferred car to car , but we've owned both cars simultaneously.

If you are selling the first car to finance the second , retention is the way to go.

either way it takes up to 2 weeks to do the transfer.. As far as i know there are no DVLA offices left that will do a transfer or retention on the spot. (apart from when you have a reg on retention to put onto a car)

So either way you will be in for a 1-2 week wait normally.

Jay is spot-on, no offices left :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom