Registration no. 27ELF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Whilst looking around an antique dealers in the Cotswolds , my wife spotted an old number plate - 27 ELF . As my birthday is 2nd of July she decided it would be nice to hang up in my workshop. The dealer had bought the plate as part of a clearance lot and had no idea what vehicle it had been registered to. Is there any way I can find out the original vehicle it was supplied to?

Whilst looking around an antique dealers in the Cotswolds , my wife spotted an old number plate - 27 ELF . As my birthday is 2nd of July she decided it would be nice to hang up in my workshop. The dealer had bought the plate as part of a clearance lot and had no idea what vehicle it had been registered to. Is there any way I can find out the original vehicle it was supplied to?

What did she pay? New ones are only £15 with anything you want on them :)

Don't get it.

Are you an elf or from an elfin family?????

MOCAS would no doubt know the make, model and colour, day of the week and name of the first owner. Where is he hiding?

'elf & Safety maybe?

He is still in hiding since his undercover appearance at the GTG near Bicester a little while ago.

Santa's plate

MOCAS would no doubt know the make, model and colour, day of the week and name of the first owner. Where is he hiding?

Let's hope we see him again one day. :cool:

I sent an email to MOCAS asking for help and his reply is shown below.

"Not much I can tell you about 27 ELF, I'm afraid, beyond the fact that the 'reversed' (ie: numbers-first) ELF series was first issued by London County Council in 1962.

It doesn't appear in any of my number plate books ( though a few other ELF plates do), and a quick online search suggests it is not currently registered to any car, so Nomoney's physical number plate is probably all that survives.

It's sometimes possible to look up original registration records in the archives of the relevant local authority, but unfortunately it seems that the only surviving LCC registration records relate to 1917-1919 (http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/Documents/visitor-information/46-vehicle-registration-and-licensing-records.pdf), so there's little hope of finding out what the plate was originally registered to, short of chancing upon a period photo/film footage, or a previous owner... Sorry I can't be more helpful."

Thanks and all the best for Christmas and 2015, MOCAS. :thumb:

Just picked up this posting Ringway . Regards to yourself and Mocas. Looks like the origin of this plate will remain a mystery.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom