Registration Numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alhucoll

Car
CLK 500 Sport AMG Cab and a ML500 as the run around..........
Hi Gents,

Just after a bit of information/clarity on putting a registration onto retention.
I'm going to be selling my little MX5 ( a Mk1 beauty), so I want to retain the registration - that bit I understand is £80 for a year.
The bit I cannot seem to figure out from DVLA's helpful criblist is what happens then - ideally I'd like to put the old registration back on the car as I still have the plates (saves a few petrol tokens!).
So, what actually happens when I put the registration on retention - do DVLA issue a registration at zero cost or will it cost me?

Looking forward to the answers to my question, cheers in advance.

Al

It actually costs £105 to put it on retention.
The £80 is the transfer fee charged by DVLA and the £25 is the fee for 1 years retention. They will send you a certificate that you use to put the plate on another vehicle.
They will also send you notification of which registration mark will then be assigned to the car and a certificate that allows you to get plates made up.
Nowadays, it is normally the original number it had before.

Check your V5 first, to make sure it doesn't say Registration Mark Non Transferable.

Thanks for the info GRAV888.
Job for tomorrow then, and then get the 5 on the market

Hi Gents,

Just after a bit of information/clarity on putting a registration onto retention.
I'm going to be selling my little MX5 ( a Mk1 beauty), so I want to retain the registration - that bit I understand is £80 for a year.
The bit I cannot seem to figure out from DVLA's helpful criblist is what happens then - ideally I'd like to put the old registration back on the car as I still have the plates (saves a few petrol tokens!).
So, what actually happens when I put the registration on retention - do DVLA issue a registration at zero cost or will it cost me?

Looking forward to the answers to my question, cheers in advance.

Al

If your car already had a registration mark issued from day one, then has had a cherished number assigned to it at some stage in its life then I'm pretty certain that the DVLA will re-issue that original number to it so your original plates should be good.

Portzy.

EDIT:- I'm going to our "not so" local DVLA tomorrow, would you like me to get you the definitave answer???

Last edited:
I'm popping into my "local" DVLA tomorrow morning (3 miles) and getting the job done.
One advantage of living in the "sticks".

Plan: sell Mk1 MX5, put pennies away, track down a nice CLK55 AMG convertible, trade in CL55 AMG, add a few pennies - slap on the 666 reg!
Job, jobbed and not so much of a compromise........................allegedly :)

Last edited:
If your car already had a registration mark issued from day one, then has had a cherished number assigned to it at some stage in its life then I'm pretty certain that the DVLA will re-issue that original number to it so your original plates should be good.

Portzy.

EDIT:- I'm going to our "not so" local DVLA tomorrow, would you like me to get you the definitave answer???

+1 this is the case now, however it wasn't always like this. I recall back in 1990(ish) when my Dad took a plate off his Volvo it reverted back to a different age related registration number and not the one it was originally registered with.

I'm popping into my "local" DVLA tomorrow morning (3 miles) and getting the job done.
One advantage of living in the "sticks".

Plan: sell Mk1 MX5, put pennies away, track down a nice CLK55 AMG convertible, trade in CL55 AMG, add a few pennies - slap on the 666 reg!
Job, jobbed and not so much of a compromise........................allegedly :)

Do you have any details and photos of your mx5? I may be tempted.

You need to have 30 posts to use the PM. Do you want me to pass on your email address?

If you could GRAV, be appreciated - cheers.
I'll sort out full details tomorrow unless of course the "PM" I sent is lurking around to be forwarded.

Mucho gracias,

Al

If you could GRAV, be appreciated - cheers.
I'll sort out full details tomorrow unless of course the "PM" I sent is lurking around to be forwarded.

Mucho gracias,

Al

Seeing as you joined in 2010, I'll give you the required permissions to use the PM.
Try it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom