Rejected an S Class - must be a very small club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumberMart

Car
CL500 4.7 twin turbo
So the 2010 Approved Used S Class we bought 3 weeks ago has been rejected (successfully).

Shame, as it was (on the face of it) a superb example, having turned my head totally, with its cream leather, against the black AMG pack trimmings, and the feel good/like a millionaire/factor every time you sat in it.

Even the deal had been good, with two free services (must have been worth a grand), and no other comparable example on the MB used car listing within about £5K.

But its almost daily desire to go into some sort of limp mode (but with no warning lights) and an irritating knocking noise, the cause of which also remained a mystery to the MB technicians, meant it had to go.

Despite MB cleaning and checking all EGR valve and air inlet stuff, they had failed to cure the problem after having it more time than me within the first fortnight, so I couldn't risk persevering any longer with a car that didn't seem to gel too well with its new owner.

But where do you go after a brief but flawed love affair with an S Class in AMG clothes? The loan E250's were not inspiring any longer, and the force to move to the dark side was strong.

Not to BMW or Audi however, 5 years of MB loyalty was not going to wash away too easily and 520's/A6's etc seem too generic and sterile, with faces only a (young Essex) mother could love.

So the new IS300 was the first port call. The force was strong in this, with the ability to imagine you are sat in the cockpit of an X-Wing about to take on the Death Star (or maybe Brooklands in this case). The exterior in sonic titanium helps to carry the dream, and makes the new Lexus look like a prop from a 20 year old sci-fi movie. When the LCD tacho display changes to graphics showing the hybrid's power distribution you start to call the salesman Luke and expect to see R2D2 bleeping away on the back seat.

Unfortunately the motoring press have this IS300 sussed. Great car, shame about the CVT, and Prius style pace. So your X-Wing is all show and no go.

Never mind, with memories of the last episode on TopGear still firmly fixed, off to the Jag shop......................

Wow, those XF's certainly do handle, and helped by tyres that look like profile veterans from the 70's, they ride well too. After getting out of my ML, it felt as agile and entertaining as I guess the new Fiesta ST does if you step out of a C-Max. I was hooked. Even some bits that Merc forget like push/keyless start and touch screen. Not to mention the 8-speed ZF.

Problem was, after spending a bit of time inside it, the Fiesta influences began to emerge amongst the items of trim as well as the handling, and the superficial 'showroom' classiness of the interior began to be a bit of smoke and mirrors. Nothing wrong with it for the price, a bit dated perhaps, but more Ford than Merc.

Came very very close to going for an XF 2.2 200 Sport though, and about £4K total discount was tempting.

But the empire struck back, good old MB, keen to keep my business, snatched poland (sorry pole) on the last lap, and offered me a diamond white CLS250 AMG Sport (actually being built tomorrow so I'm told), for the same monthlies as the Jag. This means a discount in another galaxy as compared with Mr TATA, and a quick refreshing drive in a CLS made it a no-brainer. The XF is good, but it's no CLS (unless you need to take 4 friends with you of course).

Roll on next month..... no Star Wars dreams, no Last Night at the Proms blaring out on the way for a curry. No S Class, but I can still leave my towel on the sunbed with pride.

offered me a diamond white CLS250 AMG Sport (actually being built tomorrow so I'm told),

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with that, both as a CLS and with the four pot engine.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with that, both as a CLS and with the four pot engine.

Sure will. I guess the problems with the V6 in the S Class helped smooth the passage to the 4 pot, plus of course the lure of £125 road tax and 40 plus mpg.

Like a few testers have noted, the 250 in the CLS doesn't seem quite as vocal as it does in the W212's.

What mpg did the S350 manage? Or wasn't it actually running long enough to be able to tell.

What mpg did the S350 manage? Or wasn't it actually running long enough to be able to tell.

The computer showed an overall average of 34 mpg from the previous owner over all of its 46,000 miles. Pretty good I thought.

It showed signs of continuing that kind of return in the couple of hundred
miles I drove it, but would of course drop to 27/28 ish on a short run.

Very interesting, thank you.

Was looking at an S at a Lincolnshire dealer recently! They tell me it has gone but still appeared on the web site.

There was a 250 under the bonnet of a loan ML we had for a few days last month... It was fine at a trundle, but not nice when pushed hard.

Hope it's better in the CLS as they are a nice place to sit in the showroom.

CLS is in a different league to the XF .. business class compared to world traveller plus

well done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom