Rejecting car after 20 days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
Any advice on rejecting a newly delivered car?

It lasted 18 days and 971 miles before EML came on when I was 400 miles from home. Took to local dealer, they reset it, said it was a faulty CAT sensor stored fault but nothing to worry about. Drove car off, got 1 mile light back on.

Car went back today for sensor replacement, they had the car for an hour, then told me the wiring is corroded and that they'll have to strip the car out to replace it.
The car is a 66 plate C250d.

I'm now driving around in a Passat estate hire car, and that was a mission to get too!

Now thinking I don't want this car anymore, and that I should reject the car. Who else knows what's wrong, corroded wiring already sounds like more problems to come, and a strip out of the interior means squeaks, rattles and creaks!

All this and I'm meant to be on holiday :(

My advice is to talk calmly to the Sales Manager at the supplying dealership and explain that you wish to reject the car on grounds of ......

If you get the dealership on your side, the process should be relatively painless. If you don't it will be an uphill battle with obstacles at every step. And yes, I've rejected a new car before, so it's the voice of experience.

How do you reject the car? whats the correct procedure?

It's quite simple in that you tell the supplying dealer that you wish to reject the car as unfit for purpose or not of satisfactory quality. In my case I told the dealer concerned verbally and then they did all the legwork after that. I found that acting slightly dumb about it all and asking them how to go about it resulted in them being very accommodating ;)

If you want to be more formal (or if they refuse to play ball) you will need to write a letter rejecting the goods and either send it or deliver it to the dealership concerned. There are good example letters on number of the county Trading Standards websites.

Sounds like the car may have been sitting around for a while. Check the VIN and you will see when the car came out of the factory.

Sorry to hear about this, it's awful that a new car experience is tainted with this issue.

I would reject the car if you can as the doubts will linger forever

Hope it gets sorted

Sounds like the car may have been sitting around for a while. Check the VIN and you will see when the car came out of the factory.

Vin checker says delivery date was 21/07/2016

Should I phone my dealership or just wait til I'm back from holiday and speak face to face?

Vin checker says delivery date was 21/07/2016

Should I phone my dealership or just wait til I'm back from holiday and speak face to face?

I think that is a very reasonable delivery date. Did the dealer say what caused the corrosion, how it could have happened?

Definitely phone the dealer to get the ball rolling.

I think that is a very reasonable delivery date. Did the dealer say what caused the corrosion, how it could have happened?

Yeah I didn't think that was too bad for a sept handover. They didn't say just said it doesn't take much water to cause corrosion, and that the wires go into the car through a gromit so they need to trace the loom.

Definitely phone the dealer to get the ball rolling.

Okay, will give them a call today.

The important factor is to be calm and cool about it and as Phil says, get them on your side as there is no point loosing your rag with them

Maybe think of it this way; the deal has also been embarrassed by giving you a car that is not up to standard. - You don't hold it against them personally, they weren't to know. It's Mercedes who have let both of you down.

Ball is rolling, both MB dealerships have been brilliant, and have very much placed the blame on a substandard car. The car is not going to be ready this side of the weekend so will be driving the Passat around for longer. My dealer said they are trying to get me a Merc estate to drive if all fails they will have one waiting when I get home.

So far been offered a full repair and a good will gesture, but I'm not accepting that. The C63S in the Ipswich showroom would be nice :thumb:

Doubt that'll happen so will think about my next move, full refund and move on, or try another Merc, maybe a 4matic C250d or C300? Or a C43?

Glad to hear that the dealership(s) are being helpful.
...will think about my next move, full refund and move on, or try another Merc, maybe a 4matic C250d or C300? Or a C43?
My experience is that they will want to put you in another new MB car of equivalent or greater price than the one you already have; getting cash may be more difficult (though not impossible).

Heavily discounted? Or do they not take that into account?

List price vs. List price in my case, but it may be different if you achieved a large discount initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom