Relative fuel costs of petrol and electric

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It makes sense but it's slightly biased towards the EV on a low electricity price and high fuel prices that have already dropped overnight to below 160p in my locality for petrol.

Your unit electricity price of 15.93 p/KWh is brilliant and I'm jealous but it won't last though will it. Most of us are already paying 20p and in a weeks time it will be 28P. Come October it could be 40P. That would cast a different light on the calculations.

I agree. It's purely a comparison based on the current snapshot of both fuel prices and energy prices. I'm fortunate that my day rate is what it is, but that runs out end of June, I'll then be onto the standard variable more than likely. More than happy to re-calculate later in the year as both the rates change.

Is that a special rate, overnight ?
My standard variable is 29p, probably 45p in April then another big jump on the way in October ..

That makes it £14.59, rising to £22.64 and then some in October !

12.2p / 18.9p a mile, cheaper to run my 350 diesel, average 49mpg that's what 16p/mile ? unless fuel prices go up in line with the electricity charges I guess..

No, it's my standard fixed tariff which runs out end of June.

On such a commute, it only takes the briefest stop to top the car up at any point in both journeys.

Which is fine if you can get a charger that is working or vacant for that briefest stop , something he has experienced issues with a few times over the last few months and something that will get more problematic with demand.

Absolutely not knocking his "green" motives , just his choice of vehicle , a vehicle with and extra 50 miles range would prevent any recharging issues he has with the Leaf.

A few times on the way home from nightshift he has had trouble finding a charger to get a top up , just what you need at 5am after an 11 hour shift.

K

From where I’m sitting, the whole EV idea could well be the least of our worries with some serious energy shortages clearly now on the very near horizon. North Sea Oil and Gas maybe back on the table, as it were.
Boris needs to make his mind up. Buy it or drill for it.

North Sea oil and gas - desirable or not - has to be under serious consideration again. Refusing to buy from Russia means having to cosy up to other dictatorships with the hope that they don't go sour. When I see a major North Sea player shift its tool assembly facility from Aberdeen to Dubai, it's time to commit to it or lose it.

Further, the electrification of vehicles in my mind is in jeopardy if China finds itself sanctioned by the west. The Dacia Spring mentioned earlier as the first affordable EV is assembled in China. The hope of more affordable EVs from China may also fail to materialise. The Spring is developed off a chassis also built in India and Brazil so theoretically it could be built there - assuming India and Brazil don't fall under China's spell.

Which is fine if you can get a charger that is working or vacant for that briefest stop , something he has experienced issues with a few times over the last few months and something that will get more problematic with demand.
Absolutely not knocking his "green" motives , just his choice of vehicle , a vehicle with and extra 50 miles range would prevent any recharging issues he has with the Leaf.
A few times on the way home from nightshift he has had trouble finding a charger to get a top up , just what you need at 5am after an 11 hour shift.
For sure, I'm just pointing out that he doesn't need to leave it until his journey home, or the end of his journey home.

He can top up at any point in that 90 mile journey - most would just top up at 7pm during the journey out, not at 5am when there's bound to be trouble.

He could have bought an EV with bigger range but that would have cost the wee fella more money.

I don't buy any "green objective," EV's like these are being bought because they save money. Especially in Scotland where EV electricity is "free." (i.e. paid for by the daft taxpayer).

I don't buy any "green objective," EV's like these are being bought because they save money.

Not in his case , he is a 100% committed to saving the planet in his own (roundabout) way. Even with the free leccy the Leaf is still costing him more in finance payments than his old Citroen C4 diesel was costing him in fuel + repairs when using it for the work run.

He is a Fifer after-all , they invented copper wire whilst fighting over a penny.

I once forgot my change in a shop in Fife , to get my attention and return the change the owner did knock on the window - with a sponge.

K

North Sea oil and gas - desirable or not - has to be under serious consideration again. Refusing to buy from Russia means having to cosy up to other dictatorships with the hope that they don't go sour. When I see a major North Sea player shift its tool assembly facility from Aberdeen to Dubai, it's time to commit to it or lose it.

Further, the electrification of vehicles in my mind is in jeopardy if China finds itself sanctioned by the west. The Dacia Spring mentioned earlier as the first affordable EV is assembled in China. The hope of more affordable EVs from China may also fail to materialise. The Spring is developed off a chassis also built in India and Brazil so theoretically it could be built there - assuming India and Brazil don't fall under China's spell.
Quite. Surely the green brigades idea of the EV being the chosen one was assuming that the vehicle was to utilise clean ‘affordable’ and sustainable energy. That would seem to me to be somewhat debatable at this moment in time.

One of the chaps in work has just purchased an 2018 approved used Leaf , his commute is a 90 mile round trip (Dunfermline - Cardonald) and if he leaves his house with a full charge he either has to charge it at work or stop on the way home for a top up as squeaky bum time sets in around Livingston. Fine topping up on the way home from nightshift when all is quiet but trying to get a charger around 4pm is a challenge at present , once leccy vehicles become more popular i can imagine how difficult it will be to get a top-up charge.

K
He should take the car back. A 2018 model will be at least 40kwh battery and has a real world range of more than 90 miles even in winter. There's something wrong with the car / battery.

To share our real world experience of the secondhand Leaf which was purchased as a cheap EV entry point to see what EV driving is like - it is a 2017 30kwh purchased in 2020 for £10k with 21k miles. We've done 23k miles in 18 months. It averages 4.2 miles per kwh. Overnight/weekend electricity is 9p per kwh (yes I know it's going to go up) so that's 2.25p per mile. We've charged it on a rapid away from home very infrequently - we found that the charging infrastructure is awful and life is too short so we just take a ICE car for longer journeys. Some of the charging has been free from our solar panels. Ignoring the free solar power, that means 23,000 miles at 2.15ppm = £495 fuel cost. Servicing is close to zero - so far one pollen filter and some screenwash - and as preventative maintenance I had the gear reduction fluid changed in the "sealed for life" box at a cost of about £75. The brake pads are wearing very slowly due to the regen braking effect.
The diesel and petrol cars average fuel efficiency has improved as they are hardly ever used for short journeys. They have to sit on a CTEK battery conditioner sometimes now.
My conclusion of this "real world give an EV a go" trial is
1. It has performed better and drives better than I thought it would
2. I am surprised how few daily journeys exceed the range of the car (100 miles summer 85 winter)
3. I would not buy an EV if I could not charge at home
4. I would not have an EV (with the possible exception of a Tesla with access to the s/c network) as an only car
5. A large EV with poor miles per kwh and charged on public rapids is pretty expensive to run
6. An EV as a second car makes a lot of sense
7. Massive investment in the charging infrastructure is needed

To share our real world experience of the secondhand Leaf which was purchased as a cheap EV entry point to see what EV driving is like - it is a 2017 30kwh purchased in 2020 for £10k with 21k miles. We've done 23k miles in 18 months. It averages 4.2 miles per kwh. Overnight/weekend electricity is 9p per kwh (yes I know it's going to go up) so that's 2.25p per mile. We've charged it on a rapid away from home very infrequently - we found that the charging infrastructure is awful and life is too short so we just take a ICE car for longer journeys. Some of the charging has been free from our solar panels. Ignoring the free solar power, that means 23,000 miles at 2.15ppm = £495 fuel cost. Servicing is close to zero - so far one pollen filter and some screenwash - and as preventative maintenance I had the gear reduction fluid changed in the "sealed for life" box at a cost of about £75. The brake pads are wearing very slowly due to the regen braking effect.
The diesel and petrol cars average fuel efficiency has improved as they are hardly ever used for short journeys. They have to sit on a CTEK battery conditioner sometimes now.
My conclusion of this "real world give an EV a go" trial is
1. It has performed better and drives better than I thought it would
2. I am surprised how few daily journeys exceed the range of the car (100 miles summer 85 winter)
3. I would not buy an EV if I could not charge at home
4. I would not have an EV (with the possible exception of a Tesla with access to the s/c network) as an only car
5. A large EV with poor miles per kwh and charged on public rapids is pretty expensive to run
6. An EV as a second car makes a lot of sense
7. Massive investment in the charging infrastructure is needed
Fair and balanced summary, based upon real life experience 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom