Relatively new Bosch dishwasher packs up. Quality a thing of the past?

• Thread starter Deleted member 126251
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126251

We had a £500-00 Bosch dishwasher installed 2.5 years ago. Naturally, it is 6 months out of warranty and has stopped working.

Only my wife and I in the house, one main meal per day, two full sets of crockery and pots and pans washed separately. This adds up to the machine getting used ~once per week. Factor in holidays etc and it has been used less than 200 times (vs say a normal home which would be closer to 1000 times). I'm surprised they didn't tell me that I don't use it often enough.

I contacted Bosch and they are really not interested. After a couple of mails back and forth they have agreed to provide any parts for free. £100-00 for the call out.

In future - I think I'll install a cheap machine and replace it with a new one when it packs up. Seems the days of paying extra and actually getting quality are a thing of the past.

Hi,
We bought a Bosch cooker and dishwasher when we moved from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.
At the time, we were not that impressed with the quality and assumed that they had a lower quality product for the Middle East and African markets - compared with Europe.
From what you say - it seems that their quality has slipped worldwide!
Our dishwasher is on its last legs and we will not be buying a Bosch replacement!
Cheers
Steve

In many cases with household electrical products it's branding rather than design, frequently they all come out of the same factory with the same internal components, I used to run production of Satellite receivers and would marvel at how the various review magazines would score what was actually the same product with different go faster branding :)

I used to work for Siemens (who own Bosch) and the cheaper end of their whitegoods were produced in Spain and Italy in those days. The more expensive end of their ranges were built in Germany and benefited from much higher build quality. Our top of the range Siemens dishwasher lasted 20 years before becoming un-economical to repair.

Bosch quality isn’t what it used to be.

We had to replace our German built Whirlpool a few years ago and I noticed that all the usual brands who used to be okay felt very flimsy and were mostly no longer made in Europe - including Bosch IIRC.

Ended up buying a Miele - twice the money up front but they are designed to last and came with a 5 year warranty. Has some decent features (eg tap to open/door automatically pops open to dry at the end of the cycle etc)

Must be 4/5 years old now and no hassle. It’s probably on twice a day on average too. Would buy again.

Is second the quality of Miele; our 8 year old washing machine has been faultless and with three kids in the house gets used once a day at least.

Our Siemens dishwasher was fine too up until we sold it for a bigger one

If it's constantly filling and then emptying then it's an easy cheap fix as i repaired ours last year

Is second the quality of Miele; our 8 year old washing machine has been faultless and with three kids in the house gets used once a day at least.
We bought a Miele washing machine about 4/5 year ago - our washer is on at least twice a day - in part due to the many recommendations they receive - and it’s been the biggest pile of crap we’ve ever had, they’ve been out to it god knows how many times it’s now like Trigger’s broom.

I’m just waiting for it to completely pack up then I’ll be buying an Ebac washing machine (I know three people with them and all have said they’ve taken some hammer and yet been completely reliable)

Get it all covered by domestic & general :rolleyes: last time the DW failed, bloke looked at it and said it’s a write off, new one delivered 2 days later :)

Ps I don’t work for D&G but have all the white goods n cooker covered, (Britannia range, oven multi function switch failed last sat, weds the engineer came, new switch, job done ✅)
I looked up the part £180 :eek: not inc call out, so it’s just paid for itself and then some. :)

Dishwasher being used once a week........wouldn't bother replacing it! When we had a new kitchen installed a couple of years ago, we didn't have one installed, for the use age it was going to get (only 3 of us in the house), it was quicker, cleaner and more efficient to be old fashioned and wash by hand!

Never understood the whole, put dirty dishes (albeit pre rinsed) into a dishwasher and wait several days until it is full to actually use it! In a busy household where it is used on a daily basis I could 'possibly' see the point, but I can honestly say I have never had a point in my life where I thought, I wish I had a dishwasher right now ;)

Our first dishwasher was a Bosch, weighed a ton and lasted 16 years.

Our second was also a Bosch, about a quarter of the weight, plastic everywhere and I was convinced it wouldn't last. 13 Years and we have just replaced it with our third Bosch.

Strangely the new one has more stainless steel and is heavier again.

I think you may have been unlucky, or I've been very lucky.

We had a £500-00 Bosch dishwasher installed 2.5 years ago. Naturally, it is 6 months out of warranty and has stopped working.

Only my wife and I in the house, one main meal per day, two full sets of crockery and pots and pans washed separately. This adds up to the machine getting used ~once per week. Factor in holidays etc and it has been used less than 200 times (vs say a normal home which would be closer to 1000 times). I'm surprised they didn't tell me that I don't use it often enough.

I contacted Bosch and they are really not interested. After a couple of mails back and forth they have agreed to provide any parts for free. £100-00 for the call out.

In future - I think I'll install a cheap machine and replace it with a new one when it packs up. Seems the days of paying extra and actually getting quality are a thing of the past.

Bosch were the wrong people to go to.You should have gone to the people who supplied it to you. The contract was between you and them.
You should have quoted the Sale of Goods Acts ( now Consumer PROTECTION) which provides for goods to be of merchantable quality and 6 years is the anticipated life of your machine. You should have asked him to replace it less the cost of your usage and if he refused you should have gone to small claims court.

All our new appliances are Siemens due to already having them in our precious house.
Have just repaired the old washing machine yesterday as it happens, needed a new heater element. Not bad for a heavily used 9 year old machine.
I suspect we’ll get another couple of years out of it. The new stuff however I’m not so sure, it’s definitely not as well made. Yes, it does lots of fancy stuff and is WiFi connected etc but in all honestly, I’d rather it was built better.
Washing machines are far too complicated (for the sake of efficiency I’m guessing?), who the hell needs 37 different programs? Blokes don’t that’s for sure. Chuck everything in on a 40 degree wash and jobs a goodun surely?
We live in a disposable society now, my dad used to fix everything, we just seem to chuck it away and buy a new one now. Bit of a shame really.
Progress eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bought a new house last November and took our 21 year old Hotpoint fridge freezer with us as a temporary until the new kitchen went in. A couple of weeks later after a vigorous kitchen clean I noticed the fridge has stopped working so I ordered a new Hotpoint replacement. The blokes delivered it, took the old one away and I diligently unpacked the new model and plugged it in. It didn’t work!!! I checked the socket and it was switched on so I scanned the kitchen to notice several switched fused connection units. One of them was off. I turned on. The fridge came on!!
I had cleaned the kitchen a little too vigorously!

I’d just wasted £350.

I’m a supervisor for one of the biggest electrical installation firms in the UK.

Thank God there are still car brands that are built in the country they are synonymous with. Cars like Merced------ :confused::confused:

Out of interest, what has happened to the machine? Bosch are still a very good brand. It may be something simple as broken glass in the pump which is more a user fault than a machine fault. You are usually better off calling out a reputable independent service engineer once a machine is out of warranty.

We bought a Miele washing machine about 4/5 year ago - our washer is on at least twice a day - in part due to the many recommendations they receive - and it’s been the biggest pile of crap we’ve ever had, they’ve been out to it god knows how many times it’s now like Trigger’s broom.
Our first Miele washing machine developed a control board fault that rendered it uneconomic to repair, although mechanically it was still perfect. It was 19 years old and that was its first and only fault. The replacement machine is functionally much more clever, extremely quite, and gives superb results, but at not yet three years old has already had one repair of the TwinDos detergent dosing system under warranty that would have been ruinously expensive if I'd had to pay for it.

Our Miele dishwasher is now 16 years old and has been totally faultless; our Miele tumble drier has been similarly reliable.

On balance, even though our current washing had an early failure, I would buy Miele again in preference to other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom