Relatively new Bosch dishwasher packs up. Quality a thing of the past?

• Thread starter Deleted member 126251
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One dishwasher breaks and quality is finished forever everywhere.

We had a £500-00 Bosch dishwasher installed 2.5 years ago. Naturally, it is 6 months out of warranty and has stopped working.

What are the symptoms? Ours (not a Bosch) stopped working but it was just a foreign body (small piece of ceramic from a broken plate or mug that had eventually got past the filter) jamming the pump. Took the engineer 5 mins to remove it (there's an access panel underneath as it's a common issue) - certainly something I could do myself next time.

I read sometime ago that Bosch started building appliances to a price, and that was to cater for house builders who wanted to fit integrated Bosch appliances but not pay Bosch prices. They still manufacture top of the range, well built appliances, but they are very expensive. The cheaper lines sell due to the Bosch name. My newly built house came with them fitted, and after only 10 years thay have all broken down and been replaced with Miele appliances.

Get it all covered by domestic & general :rolleyes: last time the DW failed, bloke looked at it and said it’s a write off, new one delivered 2 days later :)
“DW” = Dear Wife? My first one was a write off too. The new one is far superior. Even washes the dishes sometimes!

Washing machines are far too complicated (for the sake of efficiency I’m guessing?), who the hell needs 37 different programs? Blokes don’t that’s for sure. Chuck everything in on a 40 degree wash and jobs a goodun surely?
We live in a disposable society now, my dad used to fix everything, we just seem to chuck it away and buy a new one now. Bit of a shame really.
Progress eh?
Amen to the unnecessary complications. Our dishwasher has far too many buttons. “Auto” does it all for me.

94B13BF0-556B-485E-A599-8804D43EA1B5.jpeg

As for repairing, I still try to do everything myself. Domestic appliances are mostly very easy to repair and spare parts usually easy to locate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Had a rat move into the walls last year who commuted into the kitchen and ate through our 6 month old Siemens dishwashers dirty water pipework.
Knew that would be pushing it on the warranty front so bought the proper part and had to disassemble one side of the machine to fit it. Youtube actually had a video of an engineer doing the job[emoji1303]
That was a year ago and the things used daily. Nice bit of kit but I can understand how a small issue could equal it being scrap.

The local white goods seller told us that Bosch tends to made under licence elsewhere than Germany but Siemens is only made in Germany. Well worth the extra £80 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosch quality isn’t what it used to be.

We had to replace our German built Whirlpool a few years ago and I noticed that all the usual brands who used to be okay felt very flimsy and were mostly no longer made in Europe - including Bosch IIRC.

Ended up buying a Miele - twice the money up front but they are designed to last and came with a 5 year warranty. Has some decent features (eg tap to open/door automatically pops open to dry at the end of the cycle etc)

Must be 4/5 years old now and no hassle. It’s probably on twice a day on average too. Would buy again.

We have a Miele clothes washer and also a dryer - Purchased 2008 moved 3x still going strong....

Amen to the unnecessary complications. Our dishwasher has far too many buttons. “Auto” does it all for me.

View attachment 89551

As for repairing, I still try to do everything myself. Domestic appliances are mostly very easy to repair and spare parts usually easy to locate.

Ours is very similar to that. I used to do all the repairs on our gear...but with this one I'm not sure if it is the aqua stop, float valve or inlet solenoid and for 100-00, I'm getting too old to bother mucking around on my knees.

If it's constantly filling and then emptying then it's an easy cheap fix as i repaired ours last year

Yep - had a look at the usual suspects - & I suspect the aqua stop solenoid or float valve otherwise likely to be the inlet solenoid.

We had a £500-00 Bosch dishwasher installed 2.5 years ago. Naturally, it is 6 months out of warranty and has stopped working.

Only my wife and I in the house, one main meal per day, two full sets of crockery and pots and pans washed separately. This adds up to the machine getting used ~once per week. Factor in holidays etc and it has been used less than 200 times (vs say a normal home which would be closer to 1000 times). I'm surprised they didn't tell me that I don't use it often enough.

I contacted Bosch and they are really not interested. After a couple of mails back and forth they have agreed to provide any parts for free. £100-00 for the call out.

In future - I think I'll install a cheap machine and replace it with a new one when it packs up. Seems the days of paying extra and actually getting quality are a thing of the past.

Ah, but the one you have now Rory, it's working exactly as designed !!! That is, a short time out of guarantee, ( unless you are one of the lucky one's) it goes wallop... and you have to buy another one. But I think that now there are some new manufacturing rule's / law's coming in, that all machine's must be designed so that they can be repaired, and not just discarded, as this is contributing massively to pollution. A bit like single use plastic.

It’s probably non frequent use that packed her up. Water scales on heater and the pump develop very quickly and if not treated the end is nigh. Our Bosch dishwasher works daily, sometimes on half load, for the last 3,5 years and had no problems. The same with the washing machine, runs twice per week, and the only “problem” I have with her is the most annoying alarm for the end of washing. Just can’t figure out how to cancel it. @d w124 can give you some advise.

I read sometime ago that Bosch started building appliances to a price, and that was to cater for house builders who wanted to fit integrated Bosch appliances but not pay Bosch prices. They still manufacture top of the range, well built appliances, but they are very expensive. The cheaper lines sell due to the Bosch name. My newly built house came with them fitted, and after only 10 years thay have all broken down and been replaced with Miele appliances.

Now, if only Toyota made white goods !!

I'd put money on it that the machine has pissed itself and the undertray is wet, they hate that and it's easy to dry out.

I'd put money on it that the machine has pissed itself and the undertray is wet, they hate that and it's easy to dry out.
Will let you know on Monday after it has been repaired. Unfortunately it is a built in unit and not as easy to fix as a normal unit.

Dishwashers are by far the most complex appliance in a kitchen so I'm not sure it's fair to write off Bosh on that failure... Mind I would say that because I've just installed a new kitchen with all Bosch integrated appliances. We also have a Bosch washing machine. While Bosch may not be what they were and I agree not one single appliance was made in Germany, they are still a cut above based on fit and finish and also based on recent dismantling of the washing machine to resolve a stuck door. A dismantling I needn't have done but that's another story.

If you use a dishwasher daily (which we don't) and you want reliability I think you really have to spend a lot of money and go for a top brand. It's the one appliance where this pays dividends.

For anyone that's in the market for white goods this web site tells the truth about who actually makes them and where and what the back spares supply and service is like. I found it interesting reading.

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information

With only me and Mrs AMGeed in the house, a dishwasher is a non starter for us.
A dishwasher would only spoil her and we can't have that;)
But I can relate to poorer quality with so called top brands that is probably down to cost cutting and profits.
And why does a repair cost almost as much as a new appliance?

A dishwasher would only spoil her and we can't have that;)

We are the same, washing up for two can be over a done with by the time you have loaded a dishwasher. It only gets use when we have company.

Has anyone noticed that washing up for 4 people is not just twice as much as for 2, it's more like 4 times as much. The Mrs is applying a squared law somewhere in the proceedings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom