Relaxed Planning Restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Afternoon Guys,

As the government have announced relaxed laws for planning permission to existing properties does anybody know when this will likey to take effect?

I only ask as i'm in the current process of appealing my rejected planning application from my local council.

Inspectorate will come and view etc.

Maybe now hopefully i can get that extra metre space for the garage and that foot extra at the rear they so kindly told me i couldnt do!

Not sure of the exact date, but once the shackles are off, I'm building one of this babies in my back garden;

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt get excited... it will take ages for any changes to happen and those changes are likely to be very limited and strategically targeted.

Its not like all the planners are going to bugger of to the pub and let everyone build what the heck they like.

When the rules last changed our local council dug out their rule book and started applying policies which which they hadn't needed before.
Their favorite is "over development will not be permitted"
Unfortunately there is no set definition for "over development" leaving them to apply it to everything.
My current property has a 7m rear extension which I got approved under the old rules.
One I'm currently refurbishing to move into soon (approx 100m away) they wanted to restrict the rear extension to 4m which i could have done underthe new rules of permitted development.
In the end I got 4.75m.
I tried to argue that they had previously approved a 7m extension on my current house, the neighbour at the new property has a 6m flat roof rear extension, we were pulling down a 5.4m outhouse, etc,etc.
But their response was "just because we have allowed mistakes to happen in the past doesn't mean we are going to let them happen again"

The local councils love their power to control - you can be sure they will be checking their rule books again to try to retain their powers.

Agree i dont think its as straight forward as it may sound. Will speak to the architect and council to see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom