Relay ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
The puddle light on my drivers door, at one point during the previous owners life, broke a clip and was held in with a piece of Blu-Tac, which then gave up the ghost causing the light to pop out and smash while he closed the drivers door. It was then popped inside the door and forgotten about.......until today when l decided it was a good idea to mess about with it.
When messing about with it there was a noise similar to the popping noise that comes from bursting bubble wrap from behind the dashboard.
The resulting 'pop' now means the central locking doesn't work, nor does the alarm, the rear interior light, the drivers door courtesy light, or the function which allows the electric windows to be operated without the ignition key in the barrel.
I've checked the fuses and seen nothing out of place. Given the limited knowledge l have of auto electrics, can anyone point me in the right direction and shed any light on the problem (and the inside of my car).
I still have the '91 W124 230TE.

TIA Sean.

Have you checked the fuse properly? I'm not sure exactly which one it is, but you need to pull it out and you should be able to see a small shoe horn shaped piece of wire. If this is missing or broken, then the fuse is gone. The popping noise is the noise of the wire burning away from excess current.

If you really don't know much about electrics, then wrap the ends of the wires for the light in insulation tape so the bare ends can't touch each other, then replace the fuse and you should be sorted :)

It's not a blade fuse, it's one of the old style continental fuses and it looks fine. I think everything l mentioned not working above is covered by more than one fuse and everything was working fine before this, hence the reason l thought a relay was at fault.

I suspect the light control unit has gone for a burton.

There won't be a relay as the lights dim, it will be the output transistor blown up due to being dead short.

How would this affect the central locking, alarm and the electric windows not working with the ignition switched off ? The rear interior lights work, just not when the doors are open. They were all working prior to this.

How would this affect the central locking, alarm and the electric windows not working with the ignition switched off ?

It's all the same module, it controls the lights and windows when the door switches operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom