Relive the HORROR!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw these but had to watch them again. Shame about the car but I think it was brilliant! Just goes to show how reliable, robust, etc etc the oldies are.

Would still buy one over a newer one any day.

Thanks for the post!

A dreadful waste of a car.

And for what? For proving something that everyone already knew.

Perhaps they should throw Vicki Butler-Whats-her-face off a tall building and see if she does indeed, make a large mess on the pavement.

Not good tv. If it was an MOT failure, then all its doing is preventing some parts being recycled, but utterly pointless television, and not entertaining at all.

Just like her friend Jeremy for his antics with the W140 .

NW_Merc said:
Well if it was a new merc it would most probably fall apart judging at the serious drop in quality these days :rolleyes:
I very much doubt it, modern mercedes models are no-less solid than their traditional counterparts.

Are you serious Nick ? i can't see any smileys .....

And there was me thinking that all the 7-10 year old 202s I was looking at were in fact as rusty - and often worse - as the 13-17 year old 190s I was previously looking at, but clearly it's my imagination.

VBH needs to be publically shot for that video :( But 124's rock :rock:

grober said:
For those who didnt see this pointless bit of television :eek: about how indestructible old Mercs are or others who are plain masochists :crazy: you can see it all again here.

:D :D You should have put a health warning on this post. I cannot stand that stupid, giggling hyena of a 'she male' grrrrrrr :eek: :eek: As soon as I saw her, I had to abort.:eek:

I do wish Mercedes-Benz had stayed with that shape for the newer estate cars!!

John

Howard said:
Are you serious Nick ? i can't see any smileys .....
People might complain about electrical glitches or paintwork, but the cars are still as solid as ever, if not more so!
glojo said:
I do wish Mercedes-Benz had stayed with that shape for the newer estate cars!
Which shape? I could clone a greenhouse onto the back of a modern saloon for you, is that what you're after? ;)

How about Clarksons eternal gripe - loose trim, bits falling off ...etc ...

Never any issues with loose or rattling trim when the w124's and w126's were new ....

Greenhouse ? - take it your're not a 124 fan then Nick ?

Howard said:

Never any issues with loose or rattling trim when the w124's and w126's were new ....
Oh yeah? Well the aircon dials fell off that W124 dash pretty easily, all it took was a grenade.

Long after every other Mercedes model has rotted away, there will still be a w124 somewhere plodding on regardless ...

Long may they reign as the pinnacle of Mercedes quality ..... :rock:

Ahh the good old days. Were they really that good. Yes problems I do not doubt. But do we not feel all our expectations are somewhat higher than they used to be as we all expect more and more. Generally we all expect it for less as well.

EDIT* Just how gorgeous is that CLS at the top of the page. I want one :D

Last edited:
I want one just like that ( at the beginning, not the end!) for £695.....

Allan

Shude said:
Which shape? I could clone a greenhouse onto the back of a modern saloon for you, is that what you're after? ;)

:D :D I am a great admirer of your expertise in that department, my Desktop picture being a prime example.

My dream car would be the 124 shape estate car with ALL the innards, workings, etc of the early 2004 211 estate. I do not take any of the unreliability remarks seriously. There were any number of teething problems with this model, but they were all sorted and the 211 is without doubt the best E-class we have owned. Those that do not like the diesel options should try the latest E500 that is getting rave reviews. If you are involved in a serious accident then the solidly built modern vehicle is the place to be.

Howard said:

Hi Howard,
We tend to only hear what we want to listen to, but who remembers Clarkson's review of the Bentley Arnage?? It was criminal to see such a nice car being abused, doughnuts, jay turns, there was more smoke coming off the tyres than what usually comes out the rear of your 'olde whale' :D :D :) My point however was that he crucified the cheap interior plastic, rattlely ashtray, bits hanging off, cheap switches etc etc. and that is on a Bentley!!!

Clarkson always appears to own a Mercedes-Benz???? That to me speaks volumes, he slates them publically, he has the choice of any car available, but continually buys a Mercedes-Benz? There is a point there somewhere (and it is NOT one of discounts)

John

I think it is just the nature of people to gripe about whatever is current .

When the 124 came out , everyone said they were flimsy , not as solid as the 123 they replaced , too many gadgets , too complex for owners to service ...

Sound familiar ?

When the 123 came out complaints included plastic door handles , soft ride , poor handling ... in comparison to the preceeding W114/W115 'new generation' series .

maybe in 20 years time you will be looking back fondly at 210s etc as 'the last REAL Mercedes' ???

Good point, Pontoneer. I remember when the W124 came out, Taxi drivers in Germany protested outside the works in Stuttgart, about a perceived drop in quality from the W123.
As far as the TV show goes, what a peurile piece. The fact that the car is 16 years old and functions pretty much as new and is rust-free says it all anyway. If they were to have driven it to say, the Urals and back, fully loaded, it would have actually proved a point. Bad, lazy television for 12-year old schoolboys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom