Relocating oil filter M104 320. How to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anybody know if my M103 oil filter housing is missing something/valve(?) in that empty circular space on the right where M104 has one?

It looks to me as if the thermostat in the M104 is designed to by pass the built in heat exchanger [ people misunderstand this unit- its as much about heating up the oil as cooling it] There doesn't appear to be one at all in the M103 unit. The M103 unit shown in the diagram doesn't have the take off points for the remote air cooler you have which is in this instance a true cooler not a " warmer upper"

Last edited:
It looks to me as if the thermostat in the M104 is designed to by pass the built in heat exchanger [ people misunderstand this unit- its as much about heating up the oil as cooling it] There doesn't appear to be one at all in the M103 unit. The M103 unit shown in the diagram doesn't have the take off points for the remote air cooler you have which is in this instance a true cooler not a " warmer upper"
Very good info, thanks! So, i need a thermostat to be able to warm up the oil? With the M103 oil filter housing, that is.

Last edited:
Mercedes don't seem to think so- unless there's a thermostat/bypass hidden somewhere- can't locate a diagram of that precise set up yet = the M103 cartridge type with oil/air cooler. It might be argued with today's wide viscosity range oils 0w30 5w40 etc that's its no longer strictly necessary.

Does anybody know if my M103 oil filter housing is missing something/valve(?) in that empty circular space on the right where M104 has one?

Does anybody have an idea how to pull out the non return valve/thermostat from M104 oil filter housing. I would put it in the M103 housing. The size is measured to be the same.

Does anybody have an idea how to pull out the non return valve/thermostat from M104 oil filter housing. I would put it in the M103 housing. The size is measured to be the same.
I decided to leave the non return valve out. Function of it is to avoid the oil filter to drain and dry while stand still. In my relocation setup the filter is upside down, so the is no need for a non return valve.

Hi hismajestics, any updates on your installation? Carr to share some pics? I would like to plumb an external oil cooler for my car as well.

Thanks! Did you end up using a Mocal sandwich on the m103 filter housing?

Anyway you got email.

Answer your email here.

Every model year M103 oil filter housings are plug `n play on M104. I did use the Mocal kit shown in this topic.

The sandwich plate you see in these pics on M103 housing is the original one. I did swap that with the one in the Mocal kit.

Mocal sandwich plate on M103 oil filter housing:

Have a nice day!

/johannes

EDIT:

One more pic where you can see glimpse of filter housing and sandwich plate in place.

Last edited:
Great thread, quick question

Would somewhere along the oil lines for this install be a good place to attach a pressure sender for an oil pressure gauge? I've used the standard pressure test port on an M113 before but adding one in between the block and the remote filter would be much easier if already doing this install

Would somewhere along the oil lines for this install be a good place to attach a pressure sender for an oil pressure gauge? I've used the standard pressure test port on an M113 before but adding one in between the block and the remote filter would be much easier if already doing this install

If your using the m103 or m104 filter housing's they already have threaded boses to take the gauge sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom