Reluctant to kickdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercman1969

my W163 at times will not kick down whilst going up hill

Very weird as soon as you get on the level it works fine

slightly concerning if you seek to overtake and notjhing there when you go for the loud button

any ideas????

Mercman,

The shift profile changes when ascending and descending, the TCM will hold gears for longer in these situations, monitoring the TCM shift commands whilst driving will clarify this, however, for a quick fix, you may well find that resetting the TCM shift adaptions will also help, your'e gonna need a Star to do this though. Some aftermarket scantools can reset adaptions on some systems, but they're flaky at best, so best to find someone with a Star.

What is a TCM?

I took it into an independant in nottingham with this problem and they changed the oil...it was also quite jerky on gear changes.....seems to have cured the jerkiness but not the kickdown

thanks.....my knowledge is expanding thanks to you great guys

Sorry, TCM = Transmission Control Module

The electronic brain that actually controls all the functions of the gearbox, basically, when working properly, the gearbox can only do what it's told to do by this module HTH.

Sorry, TCM = Transmission Control Module

The electronic brain that actually controls all the functions of the gearbox, basically, when working properly, the gearbox can only do what it's told to do by this module HTH.

Yes, I have had similar problems, but that was caused by the W.I.F.E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom