remap c220 amg sport cdi ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If that's what you focus on then you're missing the point really. Peak gains and maximum output are only a small part of what matters in reality.

I couldn't care less if my car has 500 or 510 horsepower or whatever. It's better throughout the rev range, particularly over 5k rpm where the stock throttle restriction limits power.

Dynos are so variable that absolute power values are a bit of a joke. If everyone talked about at the wheels figures then maybe there'd be something to discuss as that's what matters. Adding a different fudge factor for transmission losses allows you to show what you want. Dynos are useful to see what a relative difference is before and after a change, such as a remap.

In short, yes there's some marketing but don't get hung up on it. Map your car, enjoy the improvements and forget about it.

How on earth can you defend their lies , it's plain to see .

For the 220 CDI they claim above average gains , but only produce with a graph and figures below average gains.

Completely indefensible !

Strictly speaking you are right. I just think it doesn't matter. It's a boring engine that's never going to set the world on fire but a remap makes the most of it. Simples.

How on earth can you defend their lies , it's plain to see .

For the 220 CDI they claim above average gains , but only produce with a graph and figures below average gains.

Completely indefensible !

So go elsewhere then, many AMG owners are happy with them so I don’t see the problem having a sport model remapped by them

None of us are driving expensive cars with bespoke maps, what you get at one place will just be +/- a few % elsewhere with the same generic map

Oh, you can get DPF and EGR deletes on some, which owners rant on about like they turned up and got a personal customised map that nobody else has :wallbash:

It's OK guys I've seen the NA big V8 willy wave before it's quite the phenomenon on Mercedes forums , absolute peach of a car , love them .

I haven't owned but driven a few and must say a 458 is amazing .

But this thread is about the most popular 204 UK engine the humble 220 CDI , 2.1 derv with two turbos and a reasonable turn of speed but the gubberment don't send you a tube of lube in the post in regard of the VED and fuel duty earned .

A 220 CDI is a wise VED and fuel duty consideration...

merc mpg.jpg

There's only one cautionary note with Celtic; they won't give torque and power maps, i.e. rolling road printouts, even generic ones, for their generic remaps. One wonders why they're not prepared to do anything to substantiate their claimed gains.

Probably because many cars aren’t 100% at day of remap, saves them disputing low figures or strange graphs , if the customer isn’t car smart it can be impossible to explain, and or there not in a position to rectify problems, won’t or not able, if that’s the case I wouldn’t use them, every tuners going to display graphs even just to charge ya for it

Other tuners like GAD , BR-Performance etc quote their difference and this difference now is a minimum figure and how it should be done , no lies , no marketing , no deceit .

It wasn't always the case though as before their dyno installation the claims were market leading wild and then changed overnight when they started posting dyno graphs .

I asked a direct question in an email as to what happened to the higher figures to which I got no reply , lol .

Fixed that for you. ;)

Nothing to do with willy waving. Just seems odd to get wound up by performance gains when you've got a cooking model for 'wise' reasons.

No one 'needs' an AMG (or other high-performance cars). Or, as Jeremy Clarkson once put it, no one really needs anything other than a VW Golf (unless they are disabled or have lots of kids etc). Buying an AMG is a leisure expense, and VED and mpg are part and parcel, or as Autocar magazine used to say about the RR Phantom's fuel consumption: If you need to ask, you can't afford one.

Then there's the minicab / Uber / airport shuttle brigade, trying to operate a vehicle at bare minimum cost. VED and mpg will be important, as will Chinese ditchfinder tyres and backstreet garage cheap oil changes etc. Every penny counts.

But... for the majority of drivers, who simply buy a practical car for occasional personal use, VED and mpg are a bit of a red herring. The fact is that the two potential large costs of owning a vehicle are the depreciation under your ownership, and maintenance (servicing and repairs). Buying wisely means owning a car that depreciates little, is cheap to service, and is reliable. Yet people fret about VED and mpg... which should be the least of their worries when choosing which car to buy.

But I guess it's a bit like browsing stuff on eBay or Amazon... there's a feelgood factor when buying from a seller that sells the item for a few pennies less, I have to admit it..... even if the 'saving' makes no real difference to your life. I suppose that looking at a high mpg figure on the trip computer or the low VED on the DVLA renewal notice has a similar effect on some people.

Last edited:
I agree. I've seen plenty of people get newer cars at vast expense to have lower fuel/tax but in practice I'm probably spending less by owning the car outright, having it for longer and buying second hand.

I definitely don't need an AMG but I want one because it's fun. With the mileage I'm doing it costs me around £2,000 a year more to fuel the car compared to the 78mpg posted. I don't smoke or drink and to me it's well worth it.

Gazwould has both a cheap car and low running costs but then it's missing the fun factor. Not a problem if you don't mind...

I've got an S14 for that .

The 2.1 derv has 580Nm which is more than a AMG 45S so it's not all bad .

Last edited:
The 2.1 derv has 580Nm which is more than a AMG 45S so it's not all bad.

How do the torque curves compare, though? An ML420 has the same torque as an E55K, but the curves are a bit different...

I've got an S14 for that

You got one of these?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cool - I wanted one (when I was much younger.....)

Yeah , pre facelift model .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom