Remap Identification?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
As a few may recall, my new (to me) E55K has allegedly been remapped to 525 bhp. This may just have been BS from the last real owner to the trader I bought it from, or it may be true, but there's nothing in the paperwork. I'd like to check.

The acceleration is tremendous, but as I only (only, he says...) had 350 BHP under the right foot before, I couldn't begin to give an opinion on whether I now have 50% more power, or more than that. I know it's firkin quick, Missus...

Can anyone tell me, will a Star session identify if it has been remapped? If it has, do tuners normally put any form of digital signature in their maps to enable them to be identified? Even simpler, where might I look for a sticker applied by the tuner if there was one?

E55(nowK)BOF

The only way is to compare what's on your ECU vs the standard map or interrogate the ECU to see if there's any date stamps on any of the value changes

There's a few outfits out there that do this fir insurance companies so I'm sure Google would reveal someone in your area

The other way if course is a dyno should be pretty easy to tell 350bhp from 550bhp

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Couldnt say if star would tell you.....I doubt it. However, best way would be to get it stuck on the rolling road and then you can check roughly what the power output is..........more importantly if you get it on the Dyno then you can check AFR etc and make sure it's a "good map" and you are not over or under fuelling.

Many remaps these days claim to evade detection (true or not I have no idea).

The only way to make sure that it hasn't is to have the ECU reset/ flashed.

Put it on a dyno

If you want to be sure, take it to a decent dyno (ACID@MSL)
If it feels fast and you are happy - leave it.

It is was BS... then too late now anyway.

The only way is to compare what's on your ECU vs the standard map or interrogate the ECU to see if there's any date stamps on any of the value changes

There's a few outfits out there that do this fir insurance companies so I'm sure Google would reveal someone in your area

The other way if course is a dyno should be pretty easy to tell 350bhp from 550bhp

Thank you for that. I won't need a dyno run, though, to tell me it has a lot more power than the 350 bhp I was used to; that's immediately apparent when driving it.... I'll see if I can find a company to check the ECU; thank you for the tip.

If you want to be sure, take it to a decent dyno (ACID@MSL)
If it feels fast and you are happy - leave it.

It IS fast and I AM happy, but I'd like to know for sure. Once DVLA gets round to sending me the V5C, I'll be able to contact the previous owner as a first step, then take it from there.

Legality/detectability is irrelevant - I've declared it to my insurers.

I want to have the gearbox oil and filter changed - can't really be bothered to do it myself at the moment- so may combine that with a dyno run, just to see.

Thank you for the answers, gents, and Acid, I may be seeing you soon....

E55BOF

Legality/detectability is irrelevant - I've declared it to my insurers.

Now there's a point. If you declared something it doesn't have, does that make it invalid?

Or could they say it was modified (as in returned to standard!) and therefore this was undeclared? (what with it not being an accurate reflection of the risk they are insuring?)

I am only posing a question, not offering an opinion.

Finding out would certainly be useful regardless of the legality of the above.

You have acted in good faith, declaring what you were told about the car. No worries with insurance if it's not actually remapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom