Remap or Tuning Box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickyBurrows

Banned
Car
Mercedes e320 cdi sport
Just wondered what people prefer, I've always had remaps as I feel it's individual to the car and works better for it and never understood why a plug in box would do anything other than probably over fuel it, so I'd like to know why people choose the tuning box's what's the advantages over a remap ect and what's your reason for choosing one or the other? I'm curious to know people's reasons so let me know my good people.

Never had a remap, but have used diesel tuning boxes on a Rover 75, Saab 93, and currently a D3 engined Volvo C70. (Didn't touch the MB as it was a leased company car)

I was most interested in improving the take up at lower revs, and in each case it has done what it said it would. At my age, I'm not bothered about increasing top end performance, and have the box adjusted accordingly.

As a bonus I sold the box on after I'd changed the car!

Never had a remap, but have used diesel tuning boxes on a Rover 75, Saab 93, and currently a D3 engined Volvo C70. (Didn't touch the MB as it was a leased company car)

I was most interested in improving the take up at lower revs, and in each case it has done what it said it would. At my age, I'm not bothered about increasing top end performance, and have the box adjusted accordingly.

As a bonus I sold the box on after I'd changed the car!

Yeah I guess if it works as good as a remap that would be a benefit.

I think that a tuning box is a fairly generic improvement, but it doesn't take in to account anything else you've done on the car; so if you changed the inlet and/or exhaust you don't get the full benefit from it because you haven't mapped for that.

I'm also slightly distrustful of anything that just fools the ECU in to thinking the engine and/or sensors are doing something other than what they really are.

I think that a tuning box is a fairly generic improvement, but it doesn't take in to account anything else you've done on the car; so if you changed the inlet and/or exhaust you don't get the full benefit from it because you haven't mapped for that.

I'm also slightly distrustful of anything that just fools the ECU in to thinking the engine and/or sensors are doing something other than what they really are.

That was my understanding but for the price of these tuning boxes they as much if not more than a remap why would anyone do that, surely not so you can just take it on and off.

They are plug-and-play (after a fashion), so no dyno time to set them up.

Plus, if the car is financed or leased, the owners can't tell you had a tuning box that you've since removed.

They are plug-and-play (after a fashion), so no dyno time to set them up.

Plus, if the car is financed or leased, the owners can't tell you had a tuning box that you've since removed.

Good point but why spend money on a car your not going to own lol.

As already mentioned the boxes are good for those on lease plans and need to hide their mods.
But again why spend money on a car that you don't own?
The boxes are just a mild tuning solution but never meant as a real power option.
They are ok for those who live miles from any good remap companies but not for true enthusiasts.
It would need to be a good remap every time.

You cannot beat a customised remap.

However, even if I did have a lease car then the only tuning box I would go for would for is Carlsson's C Tronic as it connects directly to the originak ECU and measures and calculates all of the relevant data accordingly.However, it is not cheap though!

Can't see any problem wit putting a tuning box on a car you're never going to own, after-all you will get to enjoy the extra performance during your ownweshipp, just like you do with the rest of the car. You will also get roughly 50% of the cost of the box back on ebay... Try that with a remap!

The problem with remaps is the dealer will often overwrite them during a sservice, so you have to go cap-in-hand to the tuner to get the map re-written to be compatible with the latest Mercedes software. Some tuners will do this for free, most won't...

Can't see any problem wit putting a tuning box on a car you're never going to own, after-all you will get to enjoy the extra performance during your ownweshipp, just like you do with the rest of the car. You will also get roughly 50% of the cost of the box back on ebay... Try that with a remap!

The problem with remaps is the dealer will often overwrite them during a sservice, so you have to go cap-in-hand to the tuner to get the map re-written to be compatible with the latest Mercedes software. Some tuners will do this for free, most won't...

I've never had mine over written or heard of any friends that have either, why would they touch the ECU software on a service?

why would they touch the ECU software on a service?

Certain software updates demand it unfortunately.

My local dealer knows my car well so will not touch anything on it without asking first. I only have it serviced by them to keep the Mobilo service going but it just gets the bare minimum done.

If they kept flashing the ECU it would be a nightmare as nobody can remember which map it's currently running. :D

Certain software updates demand it unfortunately.

My local dealer knows my car well so will not touch anything on it without asking first. I only have it serviced by them to keep the Mobilo service going but it just gets the bare minimum done.

If they kept flashing the ECU it would be a nightmare as nobody can remember which map it's currently running. :D

Ah I see thank you I'll make sure my local Mercedes guy knows that then next time, maybe I've been lucky so far.

I'll bet some of the software updates were to "address" the emission performance. Unfortunately, the cat's out of the bag now..

I work with Softies all day and one thing they do like is "changing stuff"...

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..

This may be a stupid question but can you re map older type like 1992 R129 which does not have a multi pin connector to its ESU? Can you use tunning box on them? What kind of tunning can you do on those?

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but can you re map older type like 1992 R129 which does not have a multi pin connector to its ESU? Can you use tunning box on them? What kind of tunning can you do on those?

Used to be a thing called chipping cars which I think is basically like a box it was all the rage in the 90's when I was to young to drive so I dont know much about it but yeah up until recently everything is now mapped.

it was all the rage in the 90's when I was to young to drive

OMG I feel old now. :(

@hoochini: Yes, you car can be "adjusted", just make sure that you find someone who knows what they're doing with it, though I'd be tempted to leave it alone to be honest... They're not making them anymore. :)

@hoochini: Yes, you car can be "adjusted", just make sure that you find someone who knows what they're doing with it, though I'd be tempted to leave it alone to be honest... They're not making them anymore. :)

You and me both. I can still remember getting my Cosworth Superchipped to 290bhp back in the day.

Lol sorry, I feel old already in my own way knowing tennagers nowadays don't know what a video or video player is lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom