Remap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wazmitch

Car
CDI 220
Good afternoon All

Just having a search around for a remap and any advice if tuning boxes are better?

Well i’m a week into owning my first Merc and absolutely in love with it, Its the CDI 220 amg sport+ estate 170
I have a few concerns but hopefully will feed off experience and recommendations from the Merc club experts.

I gather the 7g auto box will be the same as the 250 and able to cope with the added torque of a stage 1 remap and the turbo of course.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
👍

Remap always better than a tuning box, but you'll find much more info here: Performance Lounge

Spend a few hours/days reading through there and you'll know everything you need to know about remapping your car, and more (short of actually doing it yourself)

A genuine question from someone who has never had a car remapped and knows nothing about it. Why? Do you get a car remapped for improved/increased performance? If so, do you also upgrade things like brakes and transmission to cope with the increased power and torque? Isn’t it easier, and dare I say safer, to buy a car that is designed and built with the increased performance and uprated associated parts in the first place?

I‘m all for things like rebuilding engines to get the best out of them. I’ve blueprinted a few old engines myself to get them back to the design spec as near as possible, but never tried to get the engine to deliver more than the rest of the car was designed to handle.

What is the point of tuning a 220 diesel estate? You'll not notice any difference.

I had my range rover sport mapped for the exact above thing, as I'd read it was worth it....by a very well respected tuner who is highly recommended on here.

Total waste of money.

Based on one experience isn't good ?

Before and after dyno ?

No mpg difference, no driving difference.
It gained about 40bhp, lower down torque, didn't make an ounce of difference.

Maybe a lighter car or a petrol car but I'd never map a car again unless I was going for substantial gains.

I can see that point being heavy and small gains .

But you can't apply the negative to a blanket everything .

I've a 25 year old petrol turbo that gained around 100 bhp and 100 ftlb @ 1275 Kg , so it was about 300 bhp & 406 Nm .

Night and day..

Merc 350 CDI's Stage 1 get comfortably to 700 Nm.

What is the point of tuning a 220 diesel estate? You'll not notice any difference.
I beg to differ on that......Volvo s60 standard 185 to over 200bhp big difference, Mondeo Stdci up 180 - brill torque, Insignia just short of 200bhp, pulled really well all showed mpg increase

As i wrote.....first merc i have owned so its a new experience but she has brembos and the same gearbox as the cd250 so i would say the car has the tools to handle the remap?
At the end of the day i am only looking for driveability and mpg, i am a 50+ driver so will not be thrashing it around to an inch of its life.

👍

Last edited:
Isn't the main advantage of a tuning box that it can easily be removed and the car put back to stock? This might be important to some users.

It may have had something to do with the RR being big and heavy with enough torque anyway.
I also had my SL63 bi turbo with circa 540bhp at the same time, so the RR was always going to seem numb.

But even so, I still won't get a normal everyday car mapped again.

It may have had something to do with the RR being big and heavy with enough torque anyway.
I also had my SL63 bi turbo with circa 540bhp at the same time, so the RR was always going to seem numb.

But even so, I still won't get a normal everyday car mapped again.

Did you consider remapping the SL63?

I beg to differ on that......Volvo s60 standard 185 to over 200bhp big difference, Mondeo Stdci up 180 - brill torque, Insignia just short of 200bhp, pulled really well all showed mpg increase

As i wrote.....first merc i have owned so its a new experience but she has brembos and the same gearbox as the cd250 so i would say the car has the tools to handle the remap?
At the end of the day i am only looking for driveability and mpg, i am a 50+ driver so will not be thrashing it around to an inch of its life.

👍

They are all lighter cars than a RR in all fairness .

Brembos ?

Are you experiencing that annoying drive by wire throttle lag ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom