remap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete pearsall

had my ml270 remaped last monday the differance is amazing, no turbo lag pulls like you would not belive, mpg dose not seem to be affected, in all very pleased.

How was your insurance affected?

That's good, who are you insured with?

Great
200hp or more ?
Remapping suites very well for that car.
After remapping the performance is also good.
"Learning" gearbox notices increased torque fine.

Ha Ha !!

Only a mug wouldn't .... they all say it can't be detected , but in the event of an 'iffy' big smash and they have a look , are you prepared to gamble your £30k motor on it ?

Only a mug wouldn't .... they all say it can't be detected , but in the event of an 'iffy' big smash and they have a look , are you prepared to gamble your £30k motor on it ?

Or risk having to pay a million pound 3rd party claim out of your own pocket ...

Ha Ha !!

Maybe I don´t understand.
Can you explain me.
Who are "they".

Ha Ha !!

Howard you are quite right in stating that IF they checked they could find out, do you know of any such incidents?

As BTB suggests, the value of your car is nothing compared with potential 3rd party liabilities. If an accident resulted in you being a defendant in court, would you be prepared to perjure yourself if the question were asked....?

You could well get away with it, but if not, a whole load of stuff could unravel in a very smelly way:eek: . What have we got? Perjury and its penalties, criminal record, liabilities to claimants, repairs to your own car, making false statement to obtain insurance, driving whilst uninsured, points.

Nah! That would never happen;) .

I don't know personally of any incidents , but if there was a big enough reason to really delve into it , are you telling me that you beleive that MB ( who wrote the software ) couldn't tell you whether it has been remapped ?

Ok , it's unlikely to be checked for most normal cases , but if the need was big enough , i bet they could.

Remember , once you have your big crash and the car is undrivable and in the hands of the insurance company , there's no way to get the re-map off ...

A lot of the companies say that they will removed the remap for you when you sell it or take it for a service , why would they want to do that if it is undetectable ?

Howard you are quite right in stating that IF they checked they could find out, do you know of any such incidents?

I was looking at a write off E300 on Ebay where the ECU had been removed by the insurance company for inspection.
They were to going to return it on sale of the car. The sale was being handled by a salvage yard.

I imagine it would be a standard check now for any turbodiesel vehicle involved in a big claim. Finding an undeclared remap is an easy (and instant) getout for the insurance company so it's an obvious thing to look for.

There is one, very easy way to check, if the car is remapped, dyno-run.

It is not so easy to prove the remapping, even if “everybody knows”.
Because, if the job is done properly, changes are so tiny.
And, at least here, there are not so many people in whole country, who can tell, which part of the program is not original any more.
And what do those ”possible” changes causes.

The power is already loaded in those maps, from manufacturer.
Good chiptuner only realise the limiters.
Little more boost, ~0,05-0,15bar is enough, and is still “within original lines”.
And something to egr-map, if you want it blocked.
That´s it.

In MB, there can easily be seven variation of maps (programs), in one ecu.
Only one at a time works.
It is possible, that every of those variations gives different power/torque.

But, if remapping is illegal, then it is.

But, if remapping is illegal, then it is.

Remapping isn't illegal. You're just giving the insurance company the option to declare your policy void if you haven't declared it and there's a big claim.

All they need to do is read the ECU and open the file with the appropriate program to see what has been altered (if they know what to look for). MB dealers will prob never go to that length, my dealer knows mines been done....why fuss about it, keep quiet and accept my business.

I think you will find that if you have remapped your car and not told your insurance company there are two ways that they can handle your claim if the remap is detected.

1. Reject cover and cancel your insurance - I am not sure they can cancel the amount of liability for 3rd party personal injury (R.T.A.) - just for property.

2. Reduce the amount paid out by the percentage - based on the revised premium they would have charged - of the payout based on premium paid.

So if current premium is £200 and claim is for £20,000 - and a remap would have doubled premiums they are only on risk for 50% of the claim.

My guess is they would go for option 1. as the remap is a known mod that has substantially affected the risk and has not been reported to technically defraud the company. Whereas adding new wheels hasnt technically affected performance but a higher premium may have been charged and therefore option 2 may be used in this scenario.

Just read the terms and conditions - you have agreed to inform the insurance company of ALL changes to the car whether you think of them as being material or not.

Of those who have had their car chipped & informed their insurance company, what is the typical price increase?
I have heard that some insurance companies will withdraw cover which then affects your ability to get insurance elesewhere - again has anyone had this happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom