Remapped Chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyEnglish86

Car
Mercedes W202 C250TD
Where can I get the remapped chips for a w202 C250td to put in myself? Thanks

I could be wrong but commonly you can only remap the ecu or fit a tuning box as the above post. Not sure why you would want a chip in the ecu???

When mapping, the "chips" in the ECU are overwritten not replaced.

Usual practice is to take a read and copy of the original, then re-adapt it for performance/economy, tweaking where necessary. This is a time consuming progress using £000s worth of software and hardware and not something usually done at home as when something goes wrong, which it often does, a professional has the ability to make it right again.

I'd suggest if you want to do this yourself then you try a plug and play tuning box.

Thanks but I'm looking for the actual chips that go in the ECU

As the guys above have said, these days mapping is purely done with software, you'd be hard pressed to find a 'chip' to install in your ECU and honestly I wouldn't want to open it up and go messing with it. Chips were used twenty years ago by racing teams but its come a long way since then. Plug and play tuning boxes are an ok option but a proper professional remap is really the only way to go and it can be tailored to your specs.

Hope this helps,

Rob ...

Seanyt on the superturbodiesel forum does them and I hear they're very good from two people that I know have them.
You have to send him the ECU, he sockets it and also does something to the security..

These are 20 y.o. cars. A used ECU will be peanuts as they're near worthless without the ESL, EIS and keys.

Definitely wouldn't want to pull chips from the board in an ECU! Contact Acid at MSL about a possible re-map - he is a very nice helpful guy and will be able to advise the best tune for what you want to achieve :)

A lot of older cars did not use EPROM chips and therefore couldn't be remapped. The way it was done was to de-solder the PROM chip and then solder in a socket, program a new EPROM chip and put it into the socket.

I used to do a lot of older Honda's this way.

A lot of older cars did not use EPROM chips and therefore couldn't be remapped. The way it was done was to de-solder the PROM chip and then solder in a socket, program a new EPROM chip and put it into the socket.

I used to do a lot of older Honda's this way.
There we go! Thank you!

Would you recommend me doing this myself if I can get hold of a chip already re-programmed?

Depends, you need to be able to get into the ECU which will be sealed to make it water tight. You then need a good soldering iron and deolder suction device and be a dab hand at soldering in the socket. Once you have seated the new chip into the socket you need to be able to reseal the ECU ensuring it is once again water tight.

Not done an old Merc so no idea how the ECU is put together. Some cars are straight forward and screwed together with rubber seals, others are completely filled with resin to seal them. The latter can be next to impossible to do without damage.

If the ECU's aren't coded to the car (Some of the ones I used to do were coded to a separate security box) then just buying a second hand ECU and doing that is the safest way. Many of the chip programmers who do these do an exchange service which is probably the best way to go.

Depends, you need to be able to get into the ECU which will be sealed to make it water tight. You then need a good soldering iron and deolder suction device and be a dab hand at soldering in the socket. Once you have seated the new chip into the socket you need to be able to reseal the ECU ensuring it is once again water tight.

Not done an old Merc so no idea how the ECU is put together. Some cars are straight forward and screwed together with rubber seals, others are completely filled with resin to seal them. The latter can be next to impossible to do without damage.

If the ECU's aren't coded to the car (Some of the ones I used to do were coded to a separate security box) then just buying a second hand ECU and doing that is the safest way. Many of the chip programmers who do these do an exchange service which is probably the best way to go.
It's not that hard if you cut the pins and remove the old chip. you the remove each pin one by one. Use a solder sucker and be very carful not to lift any tracks.. I think they are surface mount chips with the solder sucker, fine solder tip remove one by one. The main issue they they are tiny legs and you would need to be skilled at soldering. Clean the board before and remove the flux from the board afterward.

if that has not scared you off then good luck.

It's not that hard if you cut the pins and remove the old chip. you the remove each pin one by one. Use a solder sucker and be very carful not to lift any tracks.. I think they are surface mount chips with the solder sucker, fine solder tip remove one by one. The main issue they they are tiny legs and you would need to be skilled at soldering. Clean the board before and remove the flux from the board afterward.

if that has not scared you off then good luck.

Excellent advice. Thank you!

I just need to get hold of the chips. I was in contact with Seanyt on here last year but I cant find his account for some reason

hiya
iam looking for a near to mint c250 td auto saloon w202 to buy if there is one for sale
contact me on 07703 448082
cheers
pete

hiya
iam looking for a near to mint c250 td auto saloon w202 to buy if there is one for sale
contact me on 07703 448082
cheers
pete

I suggest you start your own thread rather than hijacking one that has had no replies for over a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom